Plugin Contributions

Default Modification to Paul's version of CSS dynamic menu - support?

I am trying to implement the "CSS Horizontal Dynamic Menu (Paul's edition)" Add-on. It appears to work (at least with Chrome). But the dynamic UL generator script is dead set on generating each of my Categories as top level menu items as opposed to starting them under a Categories heading dynamically. Ultimately, I want the menu bar to be an alternative method of dynamically navigating my category listing, as well as include only a handful of other important links (to a blog, a support page, a contact us page, and a tips and tricks page).

You can see the way the menu incorrectly renders here (it happens to be live, at least for a couple days until I figure it out or scrap it for now):

http://www.tuxedoparkbrewers.com/

I tried to edit the generator script, but I am not a programmer, and I doubt it's as easy as changing a couple level IDs to get it to correctly render everything a layer deeper than the top. I did get it to at least SHOW the dynamic content in the correct level, but then it doesn't appropriately continue to fly out for each sub-set of items.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS. I would also love for the dynamic menu to be translucent to some degree -- is there a specific CSS tag which will allow this?

Jason

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Modification to Paul's version of CSS dynamic menu - support?

Does anyone know how to center the main tabs / drop down menu in "Paul's version of CSS dynamic menu"?
    Using Zen Cart 1.5.1

Plugin Contributions

Not that I can help necessarily, but can you be more specific. On my version (available by the link in the first post still, but it's now live with reasonable functionality for us), the text is centered in each of the headings. The tab drop drop is clearly tied to the left margin -- is this what you are trying to center?

Jason

Plugin Contributions

When I installed the plugin, the top categories level names are left justified. I would like to center justify the top categories names. I hope I am clear.
    Using Zen Cart 1.5.1

Plugin Contributions

If your category tabs are not aligned the way you want, we need to see the site live to advise correctly on what to change.

Re the OP:
    For reference to other readers (it appears you found this already), there is no need to alter the categories_ul_generator; you just need to wrap the invocation of its results in your overall list structure so the entire categories list is inside one of your main <li> elements.

Transparency can be addressed with a CSS property opacity. Look at www.w3schools.com or other resources for more information. It is now supported by all modern browsers, so you do not need to use vendor prefixes as you will probably still see in some online tutorials on the subject.

Plugin Contributions

G --

Regarding my original issue with the fly-out being at the wrong level: I ended up using megamenus (or something like it) instead of the dynamically generated drop down list. The more I use it, the more useful it seems to me, although I don't shop my site, so it's hard to tell what customers think. If I have time I may endeavor to change it back to the fly-out drop down and see if I can make your suggestion work for me (and for the sake of this thread). Your explanation makes sense to my brain, but I'm not sure I could code it correctly without a good deal of trial and error :)

Kevin: As for the alignment issue, wouldn't it be a CSS property that needs to be changed to "center?" I would think playing with the CSS alignment properties once the menu is live would start to give you a sense of which classes are affected by certain CSS edits. Testing through Chrome (or another browser which can give you feedback on which class you're trying to find) would make it a little easier to find the appropriate class tag. If my site were still using Paul's dynamic menu, I would've played with it some, but I changed to the megamenus because it worked from day one well enough to satisfy my need for a dynamic menu, even though I am planning on editing it at some point when I have time to something a bit different.

HTH.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lindenboy View Post
    G --

Kevin: As for the alignment issue, wouldn't it be a CSS property that needs to be changed to "center?" I would think playing with the CSS alignment properties once the menu is live would start to give you a sense of which classes are affected by certain CSS edits. Testing through Chrome (or another browser which can give you feedback on which class you're trying to find) would make it a little easier to find the appropriate class tag. If my site were still using Paul's dynamic menu, I would've played with it some, but I changed to the megamenus because it worked from day one well enough to satisfy my need for a dynamic menu, even though I am planning on editing it at some point when I have time to something a bit different.

HTH.
    I went a head and created a static CSS Menu, it's much faster to setup and implement. Further more, As I tested the contributed plugin, i found out that if you have a lot of categories in you shop, the menu will break and collapses. And I am not good with PHP to fix it.

Thanks for your reply.
    Using Zen Cart 1.5.1