Plugin Contributions

Default HTML5 Native Audio players?

Okay... I'm tearing my hair out trying to get this to go. I've opted to use the native HTML5 audio players in the browsers drawing them in via the audio tags. Of course I changed the doc type of my Zen Cart to html5. I've done this with several Wordpress blogs and it works really good. Reason for doing this is to make the audio available to iPhones, iPads which don't see Flash and most browsers out there.

I'm trying this out on my index page like here: Music Store (excuse the mess, I just re-installed and it's fairly new..). No sign of the audio player in Firefox. Can someone help me with this? Or has a great player that is html5. As I said, I've done this successfully on several sites just not Zen Cart. What am I missing here?
    Thank you as always,
    Yolanda

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: HTML5 Native Audio players in Zen Cart

mmhh.. no one so far... I just conducted an experiment. When I use the same code but with audiofiles drawn in from my other website it seems to work. I am using the <audio></audio> tags to play the mp3s in the browser's respective native player plus an <embed> tag for IE 8 and older. Could it have to do with the Ceon URI module I'm using? I added the 'media' folder to be exempt from redirection (that's where the mp3s are). Also have a jquery file in the header ... I mean.. if I can't resolve this soon I could point the mp3s to my other site... what do you think? Any suggestions on why this is not working out of Zen Cart?

P.S. to see this code in action check out my other site where the audio files work in FF, IE9, IE8 and iPhone/pads.... demo'd this with all above...
    shredmistress.com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Yolanda View Post
    Of course I changed the doc type of my Zen Cart to html5.
    Yolanda

Don't change doctype unless you are SURE that every element of every generated page is guaranteed to create HTML of the doctype you specify.

And quite frankly, it looks like you wouldn't know where to begin on this massive task.

Leave DocType as it is - even in wordpress. You did not develop the program, so leave the doctype statements to the people who HAVE developed the program, and trust that it is the correct statement for the program and version you are running.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

That was helpful! Changing the doc type is not the issue I believe. From XHTML Transitional to HTML is quite simple and the code will be just fine. Are you familiar with HTML5 at all? Basically... it goes back to the old HTML coding with NEW elements and therefore new functionalities. XHTML coding can still be used as can be HTML. HTML5 has huge advantages however, most notably in the mobile market.

Anyway... to get back to my immediate problem mentioned earlier. I am drawing in the audio files from my other website because they don't work out of Zen Cart the way I need them to..

Yolanda

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post

Don't change doctype unless you are SURE that every element of every generated page is guaranteed to create HTML of the doctype you specify.

And quite frankly, it looks like you wouldn't know where to begin on this massive task.

Leave DocType as it is - even in wordpress. You did not develop the program, so leave the doctype statements to the people who HAVE developed the program, and trust that it is the correct statement for the program and version you are running.

Plugin Contributions

Well... still haven't found a good answer why I can't load those audio files within my Zen Cart installation. But... I am drawing them in from my other site and that seems to work fine. I am only talking about sample audio files, not the ones I have for download and purchase. Those work. I tested a download.

I did change the doc type to html (or html5) so I can use some modern tags like audio and video in my code. There's more to that change but I think it works good. Not semantically correct html5 code but both formats html and html5 work fine together. Plus I want the native audio to show up in XP (IE8 or earlier), IE9, FF and mobile browsers.
    If someone wants to take a look and let me know if indeed it works for them... that would be great.
    http://music.shredmistress.net

Also, happy holidays and thank you always for the support and this forum.
    Yolanda

Quote Originally Posted by Yolanda View Post
    That was helpful! Changing the doc type is not the issue I believe. From XHTML Transitional to HTML is quite simple and the code will be just fine. Are you familiar with HTML5 at all? Basically... it goes back to the old HTML coding with NEW elements and therefore new functionalities. XHTML coding can still be used as can be HTML. HTML5 has huge advantages however, most notably in the mobile market.

Anyway... to get back to my immediate problem mentioned earlier. I am drawing in the audio files from my other website because they don't work out of Zen Cart the way I need them to..

Yolanda