Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Server resources - hosting problems - MySQL

Hello,

I am a host and a client using zen-cart is causing ongoing issues with very heavy server resource usage. It seems to be heavily MySQL based and causes a lot of sleeping processes on the server. Eventually this causes the server load to rise unacceptably.

I've found the version number in the database as 1.39g. This looks to be considerably older than the current version available for download.

Can anyone here advise if an upgrade will likely bring any major improvements to this issue.
    I have noticed that the script also saves many many thousands of files in the cache folders, which consumes vast amounts of disk space causing my client problems. This seems disproportionate to the number of products on the store (approx 2000). I read that it is possible to change to a database caching system instead, but frankly given the existing MySQL issues, this does not seem like it would be helpful here.

I'd appreciate any advice on whether an upgrade is the path to take, or any other insights on configuration issues that may assist.

Thanks,
    Kevin Martin
    GM-Innovations.com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Server resources - hosting problems - MySQL

If the cache folder is filling up there is any issue with the cart, upgrading is an absolute must for security but isn't as simple as it may look, nor a fix for this problem.
    Both of these items I would recommend speaking with a developer.
    Can you send a copy of one of the recent cache files?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by bislewl View Post
    If the cache folder is filling up there is any issue with the cart, upgrading is an absolute must for security but isn't as simple as it may look, nor a fix for this problem.
    Both of these items I would recommend speaking with a developer.
    Can you send a copy of one of the recent cache files?
    Thanks.

Yes, here is the full contents of a cache file from today:

File name/location:
    www/store/cache/ssu/products/9937_en*

File contents:
    2-48-carat-pear-shaped-unheated-blood-red-ruby-from-mozambique-p-9937

Does this mean anything interesting or useful?

As far as gettign a developer on board, that would be a decision for the site owner, my client. I'll draw his attention to this thread.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Plugin Contributions

While there may be issues with the single installation of zencart you refer to, we have 53 installations of zencart on one server - and have no problems.

Is your server up to the task of eCommerce? If not, maybe you should advise your client to host where servers have the capacity to handle these platforms.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

can you send the contents of one of the files in the www/store/cache/
    most recent would be most helpful.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks again, bislewl. There are no files directly in the cache folder. Only the subfolder ssu which appears to contain the large number of files/folders.

-rw-r--r-- 1 starruby starruby 1104 Apr 29 2010 .htaccess
    -rw-r--r-- 1 starruby starruby 1511 May 6 2005 index.php
    drwxr-xr-x 6 nobody nobody 4096 Nov 17 19:35 ssu/

Does this provide any clues?

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Last edited by kevmartin; 3 Dec 2012 at 02:14 AM.

Plugin Contributions

To schoolboy,

Thanks for your advice but I am not new to this (hosting) and am very confident the server is more than powerful enough. We host sites on various mainstream ecommerce platforms, across numerous servers, but this is the only zencart issue that has arisen, so I feel quite sure it is a site specific issue.

Plugin Contributions

The /ssu is not part of Zen Cart but I believe there is an SEO/rewrite add on that uses it ...

You might check with your client on if they are using something for that ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

"/ssu/" indicates yellow1912's Simple SEO URLs mod, which is no longer supported nor apparently compatible with v1.5.x (at least unless it gets updated).

Plugin Contributions

If "Query Cache" is not installed, you may want to look at installing it (or upgrading to 1.5.1 which includes a modified version).

One of my client's sites was running into similar "complaints" from a hosting provider about using too many MySQL queries (yes, this was their complaint - not long running queries - but too many!). I installing the "Query Cache" plugin and enabling the Zen Cart caching mechanism to cut down on queries (and disabled tracking category/product views and who is online in Zen Cart).

I then made a phone call (and eventually got to one of the server admins) who looked at the average usage since the changes were made and confirmed the resource usage was "acceptable" and unflagged the account for high "resource" usage. The same admin also recommended adding "delays" to SQL insert / update statements when importing a large number of products and/or categories (common when doing bulk updates).

May not solve your issues, but something you can look into... or better yet, move to a hosting plan / provider who can handle a larger number of MySQL connections and queries.
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast