Plugin Contributions

Default Which Upgrade Info Is Correct

Hi

I'm upgrading from 1.3.8 to 1.5. I've been stuck at step 3 as i'm not getting the upgrade option when i run zc_install. Just a query as i've noticed a difference in the upgrade instructions.

The 1.5 docs upgrading steps states;

If your /zen_new folder doesn't have "/includes/configure.php" and "/admin/includes/configure.php" files, copy them from your old store folder.

EDIT your "/zen_new/includes/configure.php" file and ensure that your DATABASE_NAME matches your NEW database. Also verify database username and password in case that information has changed. Save this file, and be sure to upload it as part of the next step. Repeat for the /admin/includes/configure.php file as well:

Whereas the tutorials FAQ states

If your /zen_new folder doesn't have "/includes/configure.php" and "/admin/includes/configure.php" files, copy them from your old store folder.

EDIT your "/zen_new/includes/configure.php" file and ensure that the DIR_FS_CATALOG and DIR_WS_CATALOG and DIR_FS_SQL_CACHE (and other path settings too) correctly match your NEW directory structure on the server.

EDIT your "/zen_new/includes/configure.php" file and ensure that your DATABASE_NAME matches your NEW database. Also verify database username and password in case that information has changed. Save this file, and be sure to upload it as part of the next step:

Just wondering if the line underlined should be done or not.

Also when I enter my database username and password should it be for the old database or the new one, or a combination of both as I have seen in some threads

Thanks in advance

Craig

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Which Upgrade Info Is Correct

If you are upgrading your Zen Cart into a different directory than your 1.3.8a store, then the underlined instructions should be followed.

You might want to let the Zen Cart installation create the updated configure.php files as some defines have been added and the admin configure.php file has been restructured to "auto-detect" your renamed admin folder name. If the installation creates the configure.php files, you will be asked about the credentials for your database. You might also consider creating a new database for the upgraded store (you'll later export the data from your 1.3.8a store into this database and run the Zen Cart upgrade process to upgrade that database's contents to the 1.5.1 structure).

In all cases, please make sure that you have a backup copy of your 1.3.8a database (and file structure) before you continue!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for that

I am upgrading my store on a different directory and database. So your saying I should delete both configure.php files and then run the installer?
    Also just wondering what database username and passwords I will need to put into these files once created?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Essentially, you're installing a fresh version of 1.5.1 in the "new" directory so I'd go with deleting the configure.php files that might be present in that "new" directory structure and letting the Zen Cart installer do the heavy lifting. The database credentials that you'll supply to the installer are those associated with the "new" database.

Once the directory structure is created, you can import your existing 1.3.8a database into the "new" database and then go through the Zen Cart installer's 'Upgrade Database' procedure ... so don't delete the zc_install directory until after you've gone through the database upgrade.

Plugin Contributions

Sorry I'm really tying myself in knots here trying to follow the instructions, i've read everything in the forums and it all seems to be slightly different. So far I have created a new database and imported my old 1.3.8 stores data into it. I have then uploaded my modified 1.5 folders (merged with 1.3.8) via FTP to a seperate folder on my server (and am now trying to run upgrade).

Are you saying i should start again and upload an 'untouched' 1.5 to a database and then import my backed up database over the top of it? Then import my merged files to a folder and run the install from there?

Thanks again for your time

Plugin Contributions

Try this:

upload and install an 'untouched' 1.5 in a new folder, connecting to a new database and then import my backed up database over the top of it? Then import my merged files to a folder and run the install from there? and select that template.

Plugin Contributions

(After you import your old database, be sure to run the "database upgrade" part of the instructions.)

Plugin Contributions

Most if not all of your "merged" files should be in custom template folders (depending on the exact mods you have), so whether you add those to the v1.5.1 fileset before or after installation is probably irrelevant. The exception would be if you have v1.3.8 mods that are not compatible with v1.5.1; those might have files that would somehow hinder proper installation or execution of your new site. I think being sure you have a properly functioning vanilla installation before adding files is a good idea. That way, if something breaks, you know it was in the added files.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Heaps for all the replies.

I've been trying everything and im still stuck (4 days now and my head is spinning!).

When trying to install v1.5.1 I get 'warning an error has occurred' at the start of the installation (after database details). I have tried hundreds of combinations of user names, passwords, database names etc. I also get a fatal error message in my cache/zcinstallDebug.log saying my "my_database_name_here" doesn't exist.

I also tried installing the zen-cart software provided by my hosts cPanel. I was then unable to access my admin folder until I found I could by deleting the .htaccess file in the admin folder. I then tried upgrading this version but received untold error messages and it didn't work.

After the sucess with the .htaccess I tried deleting them from my 'untouched' 1.5 version (from the root, admin, and admin/includes folders) and tried to install again. I still got the 'an error has occurred' message.

I then tried deleting the 1.3.9 configure files and tried using the database from the in the 1.5 version install. Still the same.

Please help and save a soul from insanity