Plugin Contributions

Default Is it safe to delete Core files on my Local View?

Is it safe to delete Core Files/Folders on my Local View, so that I can cleanup my Local folder, thus making it easier to manage and look at?

I ask because the book says, on page 301 to 303, that you can’t change these Files/Folders anyhow, so why have them cluttering up the Local View.

The folders I was thinking of deleting where:

Files
    Cache
    Docs
    Download
    Editors
    Email
    Extras
    Images
    Includes/modules/classic
    Includes/modules/order_total
    Includes/modules/pages
    Includes/modules/payments
    Includes/modules/shipping
    Includes/modules/debug_blocks
    Plus any Files/Folders containing ‘Classic’ as well as any suggestions for other Files/Folders that I can’t change or use.

My thoughts where that if I ever needed them again they would be on my Hosts Server and I could get them from there.

Thanks in advance of any replies.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is it safe to delete Core files on my Local View?

and if your hosting server goes up in smoke?

Plugin Contributions

Is your local copy a working version? i.e WAMP or XAMPP? If so then surly you need these folders? Image folder for one?

Plugin Contributions

If by local view you mean your pc, then for what it matters you can delete the whole zen cart folder.
    But what would you get, a few MB of space on a 100/200/500 GB HDD?

Actually it would be wise for you to keep an exact copy of what is on your host's server on your local pc as a back-up

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by picandnix View Post
    Is your local copy a working version? i.e WAMP or XAMPP? If so then surly you need these folders? Image folder for one?
    I don't think it is since I am using Dreamweaver and have to test what things look like by uploading the changed file and then look at it on the web, but I might be wrong cos I am playing this game without really knowing the rules!!!!!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by keneso View Post
    If by local view you mean your pc, then for what it matters you can delete the whole zen cart folder.
    But what would you get, a few MB of space on a 100/200/500 GB HDD?

Actually it would be wise for you to keep an exact copy of what is on your host's server on your local pc as a back-up
    I ain't worried about saving space on my computer, only making the working Zen cart files in Dreamweaver less complicated to navigate through, less complicated to look at, less confusing, less frustrating, less less (KISS!) ... the less the number of files and folders I don't need to look at and through, the easier it will be to manipulate those that I do need - if you get my meaning Mr Frodo!

Plugin Contributions

If all you're using the local folders for is storing the files you have edited and uploaded to the server, you can remove any folder that doesn't contain such files.

The way I do it is to create a local folder under My Documents with the name of the site I'm working on, then create folders under that which contain files I have modified, using the Zencart directory tree. So, I may have an 'includes/templates/custom/css' folder with the stylesheet.css file in it, if that's the only template file I have changed. As I modify more files, I add the folders they reside in so that I always have a local snapshot of what I've changed on that site, and where.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    I don't think it is since I am using Dreamweaver and have to test what things look like by uploading the changed file and then look at it on the web, but I might be wrong cos I am playing this game without really knowing the rules!!!!!
    Best practice is to always test your changes in a non-production environment. Whether this is a secondary server attached to the internet (make sure you block from search engines and customers) or a locally installed server is up to you.

Many developers set up local AMP (Apache, MySQL, PHP) stacks on their computers for testing changes. This allows testing to be done without the need to upload files - or an internet connection. It also allows them to do better debugging and unit / regression testing of any code changes. Some common pre-built stacks for Windows include XAMPP, WampServer, and AMPSS.

If you keep a local development environment w/ AMP - then you will want to leave a complete working copy of the site including Zen Cart :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    Is it safe to delete Core Files/Folders on my Local View, so that I can cleanup my Local folder, thus making it easier to manage and look at?
    On your local computer you can remove any files you like. I'd be asking myself "what do I gain by removing all these folders?". In the end it is a judgement call you have to make based upon the pros and cons.

Personally I use a VCS (SVN, GIT, etc) for each project I undertake - Zen Cart or otherwise. It makes managing multiple projects and sites far easier (for me). Dreamweaver (depending on version) does not always integrate nicely with these... although you can always use a different utility to manage the VCS.
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker