Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Australia Post Shipping Module 2.0

Sorry for not replying sooner. I wasn't receiving the notification emails for this thread for some reason.

I have fixed the bug that was causing the module to default to the highest available shipping method.

I've submitted the updated module to the zen cart plugins section, so it will be available once they approve it.

I had no intention of hijacking the oz post module. I needed a solution for my customers because they didn't want to pay a subscription fee for a simple Australia Post module. I released it to the zen cart community in the hope that people would find it useful. Whenever I get a request for courier rates, I always direct them to oz post.

Believe it or not, I still have the original version of the Austpost module working on hundreds of sites. I added this new version because a lot of people on the forum were requesting a module that would work with the new Auspost API. From what I've read, Australia Post aren't going to pull down the drc.edeliver.com.au server anytime soon because so many websites still rely on it.

I have tested this updated version on quite a few live sites and it appears to be bug free. If you have any other issues, the best way to contact me is through the support link on my website (link provided in the readme file).

Cheers,
    Luke

Plugin Contributions

Rod,

If you don't want people 'ripping off' your code then don't release it under a GPL license.

The purpose of releasing something under a GPL license is so people can modify and use the code as they wish.

The whole of Zen Cart was founded on code 'ripped off' from os commerce.

Regards,
    Luke

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by etrader View Post
    If you don't want people 'ripping off' your code then don't release it under a GPL license.
    I'll repeat what I wrote in post#9
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Even though this is a hack, my code/module is/was released under the GPL licence, which means that technically Luke has done nothing 'wrong' with his modified release, as such I have no official grounds for complaint. I seriously doubt that the admins will remove his module simply because it has a bug or two. Most modules do (at least in the early stages of development). In fact I hope they *don't* remove it, because it does provide people an alternative to the subscription based system, and I'd seriously much rather have people voluntarily subscribe to support our services rather than have them subscribe under the impression that there isn't any other choice
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

What I've found most annoying about your hack is the LACK OF SUPPORT. On more than one occasion now I've found myself having to offer help and advice to folk using your module. Needless to say, the *best* advice I've generally been able to give is to urge them to use the code that is actually supported, in other cases I've reluctantly ignored these requests for help, which I find quite upsetting to do. I feel that I'm actually punishing these people by ignoring them, which is something that most folk around here know is against my nature. I try to help anyone I can, regardless of any personal views.

. If you have any other issues, the best way to contact me is through the support link on my website (link provided in the readme file).
    When you uploaded your hacked code, did you ever take a look at the submission requirements? I'll refresh your memory.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Support: A support thread in the appropriate Addons/Contributions area of the Zen Cart® support forum should be opened following activation of a submitted contribution, where free support for that addon will delivered by the author and the community at large. Support for the addon should take place on the Zen Cart® forum.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luke, if you are NOT prepared to offer support IN THIS FORUM then you should remove this module and host it on your own website instead.

It is unfair to both myself and the users of your module to have it hosted here if you aren't willing and able to support it here.

I've nothing more to say on this matter.

Rod

Plugin Contributions

Well I continue to look for a shipping module that works for me. I certainly do not want a canardly with however many bells and whistles if it simply wont start or turn off, let alone roll up or down the next hill, without carrying a suitably qualified grease-monkey or lucky hitch-hiker. If 130 view a carnardly but 200 view a beholden within almost the same timeframe, irrespective of each their final takers, surely these numbers are speaking on the behalf of the market. And as I am sure the Australian ecommerce market already extends into the 1000's, but has the potential to extend into the 10,000's, methinks something is seriously amiss here. Maybe it's time I wrote to my local Poli to implore our national postal agency and other transporters to start making it much easier for Aussie businesses to ship online, if only for the sake of our future mine-numbing economy.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    It is unfair to both myself and the users of your module to have it hosted here if you aren't willing and able to support it here.
    If you feel that it would be be better for Zen Cart and the open source community, then I will remove the free module from the zen cart plugins section.

Then maybe, as others have suggested, you should remove your module because it is not free. That would really help the Australian Zen Cart community (sarcasm).

If your servers are costing you so much to run, why don't you release a free module that uses the new AusPost API? Then you would have the whole market share and you could cross sell oz post to people who need more advanced options.

If you release a module that uses the AusPost servers and put a plug for oz post in it, I will install it on all the sites that I build and we will both win. I've built over 500 Zen Cart sites for Australian merchants. If I didn't spend so much time supporting them, I would have more time to devote to the Zen Cart forum.

Plugin Contributions

Luke,
    I've given things a few days for emotions to settle. You asked some questions that I thought worthy of a considered response.

If your servers are costing you so much to run
    You know I've never said that, don't you? (please provide reference)
    post#9: "is still struggling to recoup development & running costs" isn't the same thing, even when it is taken out of context.

why don't you release a free module that uses the new AusPost API?
    How many reasons do you need?

Then you would have the whole market share
    I think you have the wrong idea over who my market is. For starters, it isn't just for Zencart merchants. My market is much bigger than that. It extends to any Australian eCommerce merchant, regardless of their choice of software. The limit being how many different carts can I develop for (and keep updated) before having to consider hiring coder(s) and taking a managerial role (or ceasing growth).

Zencart is in the 'fortunate' position to be the platform I like best, especially for development, as such, ZenCart users are now over a year ahead of some of the releases for the other supported carts. I do have a self imposed 'rule' in regards to development and fixes though, and that is, the carts that generate the greatest number of server subscriptions have a higher priority than the less supported ones.

and you could cross sell oz post to people who need more advanced options
    Here's some of the reasons why I won't release a free module that uses the new AusPost API:

1) I don't want/need the headache associated with yet another codebase, even if it is a 'spin-off' of 'ozpost'.
    2) Such a module can/would/could be considered to be limited demo of a product. This would be against ZenCart policy.
    3) I can't (and won't) place limits on the existing code to limit functions/features to subscribers only. This would be against ZenCart policy.
    4) If I do this for ZenCart I'd feel obligated to do the same for the other eCommerce systems.
    5) It doesn't fit with the long term objectives of the ozpost system.
    6) I've already learned my lesson. If I treat my time as worthless, so does most everyone else.

If you release a module that uses the AusPost servers and put a plug for oz post in it, I will install it on all the sites that I build and we will both win. I've built over 500 Zen Cart sites for Australian merchants. If I didn't spend so much time supporting them, I would have more time to devote to the Zen Cart forum.
    I have to ask. Is that 500 over the last year or last 10 years?
    I'm guessing 10 years, and at any given time you have no more than ~50 active clients (if that).

The numbers you provide imply I'm only seeing the tip of the ZenCart iceburg, and the numbers put forward by dw08gm infer that even your figures ~500 per year is only the tip of an even larger iceburg @~5,000 to 10,000's

put a plug for oz post in it, I will install it on all the sites that I build and we will both win.
    I have never fully understood why you never took up the developers discount offer(s) that ozpost provide. If you had even 100 clients using ozpost, the developer discounts would have saved you or your clients over $3300 in fees, not to mention the ozpost system getting a $6,600 boost. (which is more than last years total income for it). <puzzled>

I'm sure I also tried to open a discussion with you in regards to turning your talents towards help and support with the ozpost client module for ZenCart (so as to alleviate me of this duty so I could concentrate of the server code and/or other carts), but you chose to resurrect the old 'AustPost' module instead. I digress. Point being, I believe you are grossly stating your client base, and dw08gm is on a different planet if he thinks his figures are correct.

If you aren't understating things, with those figures I'm sure the ozpost server maintainers will be happy to discuss an even better deal.

Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod

FWIW my (under)estimates stem from the following:

Australia had 2.2m businesses registered online in 2011.
    170,000 new businesses were started in 2012.
    Source ABS

So,
    10,000 ecommerce/170,000 new business = ~6% of new business.
    10,000 ecommerce/2,200,000 existing businesses = ~0.5% of existing businesses.

But then I can hardly wait for this:
    http://www.ecommercereport.com.au/au...-november-213/

59 per cent of Australian small to medium enterprises had taken orders online from consumers at April 2011.
    source http://www.internetretailing.com.au/...australia.html

http://engage.acma.gov.au/commsreport/e-commerce/

http://www.ecommercereport.com.au/my...ness-activity/

http://blog.competitions.com.au/info...y-infographic/

cheers

Plugin Contributions

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dw08gm View Post
    10,000 ecommerce/170,000 new business = ~6% of new business.
    10,000 ecommerce/2,200,000 existing businesses = ~0.5% of existing businesses.
    That's all fine, but how many and/or what percentage of these are or will be using ZenCart?

Plugin Contributions

While the cost of shipping and handling has long been the number one reason why people abandon shopping carts, likewise, no doubt, a high percentage of developers abandon certain ecommerce solutions due to inadequate or difficult shipping (amongst other) modules.

http://www.invesp.com/blog/cro/shopp...fographic.html

Within Australia, I am sure many more would adopt zencart if the available shipping modules were easier to setup and use, as well as being reliable.

ATM, I cannot install ozpost and continue to develop my site without ozpost spitting the dummy that I am not online. Fix this and maybe more customers will come your way.

Cheers

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast