Plugin Contributions

Default What is the best way to upgrade AND change the entire template layout.

Hello,
    I am going to upgrade from 1.39 to 1.51 and I am also going to change the entire layout/template from my custom one (that I did myself on the fly) to a template package, Prestion Elite is the one I'm looking to install. I want to get rid of all my old changes to colors, add ons everything. All the old changes to the codes etc. can go. The only thing I want to keep is my store data, database, customers, orders etc........

I am backing up my site right now to both my computer and server and will be backing up the database also in just a few.

Do I do the "upgrade" or choose the "rebuild my site on the new version, instead of upgrading" OR is there an easier way to go if I'm just going to change the whole look and layout anyways. As I said, I just want to keep the database. But since I will be changing templates, no need to worry with all of that mess I made the first time around (and boy did I make a mess with it) but it has functioned well, but it's time for it to go......
    here is my site:
    http://store.earthscauldron.com//
    Looks like the rebuild site on the new version is the way to go, but thought I'd ask someone with way more experience than myself~
    Thanks so much in advance.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: What is the best way to upgrade AND change the entire template layout.

I'd install 1.5.1 in a "work" directory and then overwrite the database with the old database. Then, using zc_install, do a database upgrade of the old database to match 1.5.1. Lastly, I'd add the template and switch to it in the admin.
    Then you have an upgraded site with the old customers, products, and orders and a new template in your "work" directory and still have a working store. Adjust as required, then move the "work" to the store when complete.
    Consider loosing the /store and letting ZC handle it all in the root of the site. Good time to accomplish this if you're doing a complete renovation. The customer shouldn't need to go one place for info and another to shop. Especially with the template capabilities of Zen Cart.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: What is the best way to upgrade AND change the entire template layout.

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    I'd install 1.5.1 in a "work" directory and then overwrite the database with the old database. Then, using zc_install, do a database upgrade of the old database to match 1.5.1. Lastly, I'd add the template and switch to it in the admin.
    Then you have an upgraded site with the old customers, products, and orders and a new template in your "work" directory and still have a working store. Adjust as required, then move the "work" to the store when complete.
    Consider loosing the /store and letting ZC handle it all in the root of the site. Good time to accomplish this if you're doing a complete renovation. The customer shouldn't need to go one place for info and another to shop. Especially with the template capabilities of Zen Cart.
    When you say overwrite the database, do you mean to create a new one for the "work" folder and then copy the old one into it?
    Thank you for responding so quickly to my previous post

Plugin Contributions

I hesitate to give more steps as I might leave out one that I do automatically. The best way to find the steps is to download the version you want to use, unzip the file on your computer, and open the index.html file in the docs directory. Start with step 4.

Plugin Contributions

will do! Thanks so much :)

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Official upgrade instructions: www.zen-cart.com/upgrade -- and covers the questions you've been asking.

And this related article will probably help clarify many of your other questions: http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.