Plugin Contributions

Default Optimizing database to avoid hitting memory limits?

I'm using version 1.5.1. When I login to admin and try to go to Categories/Products, I get either a 500 internal server error or it just sits and sits and never loads. Dreamhost says I'm hitting my memory limit. Coincidentally (or not) they moved me to a new server yesterday and the problem started then. They've basically refused to help me in any way. I don't know where to start other than trying to optimize my database and I can't find any instructions on how to accomplish that. I'm at the end of my rope with these problems and I don't know what else to do. I can't access my catalog until I get this fixed. Could someone please help me.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Optimizing database to avoid hitting memory limits?

PHP memory limits are not related to database optimization.

Your PHP memory limit is the amount of RAM allocated by the server's administrator to any PHP script.

Chances are that the new server they put you on has less RAM available to PHP because they've either not tuned it to use more than the (very low) defaults set up by a new(or upgraded) PHP installation, or they're intentionally limiting users on your particular hosting plan. Either way they should increase the limit to something reasonable. Especially when, as you say, the problem did not exist before they moved you to a different server.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply, Dr. Byte. I'm on yet another live chat with them and I think the guy who is helping me understands my problem and is helping. :) Should be fixed finally here in a few minutes. Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Dream Hosts should really change their name to Nightmare Hosts. I have found them to be totally useless for eCommerce hosting.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    PHP memory limits are not related to database optimization.

Your PHP memory limit is the amount of RAM allocated by the server's administrator to any PHP script.

Chances are that the new server they put you on has less RAM available to PHP because they've either not tuned it to use more than the (very low) defaults set up by a new(or upgraded) PHP installation, or they're intentionally limiting users on your particular hosting plan. Either way they should increase the limit to something reasonable. Especially when, as you say, the problem did not exist before they moved you to a different server.
    Dr. Byte - what would be a reasonable memory limit in your opinion? I checked my stats and it's showing I'm using 397mb of cached memory and 472mb of actual memory for a total of 869mb. Is that normal?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I'm not sure what you're looking at to get those numbers.

But a PHP memory_limit setting of 256M should be very reasonable.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.