Plugin Contributions

Default Downloads settings question

Talking about settings, would that be possible to offer this facility to customers:

'After 7 days the file will "expire," but with one click you can regenerate your file'

I found it in a website and I would like to implement it in my site. I've been trying to find out in the forum an in the FAQ and I could not find this.
    Last edited by budy; 29 Dec 2012 at 04:30 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Downloads settings question

Could you expand on this a bit more as to what its purpose is and how it is used?

I am not getting a handle on the point of having it expire and then providing a link to "regenerate" the file ... what exactly is being regenerated?

If it is so easy to the customer to "regenerate" it ... what's the point of having it expire?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Yes, it is a facility that I’d like to give to my customers just in case something goes wrong with their download. The computer crashes, the ereader is stolen,… To give them the tranquillity that their book is not lost, and they do not have to go to the bother of begging for a new download. That they can go into their account any time and know they have their books available. But I don’t want to have the downloads permanently in their accounts.

I hope that makes sense. To me it made a lot of sense when I saw that in that bookstore I already mentioned. It’s a sort of reassurance, so to speak.

Here is the link: http://www.peachpit.com/store/faq_nondrm.aspx

I’m basically intrigued about how the "expiration and regeneration" process can be implemented.

Below is a part of their FAQ page:

How long will my file be available on my Account page?
    Almost forever. Your watermarked file will be available via your Account page for 7 days after the date of purchase. After 7 days the file will "expire," but with one click you can regenerate your file.
    Files expire so we do not have to store every file ever purchased—our garage is only so big. The expiration and regeneration model allows us to keep things nice and tidy while still making sure you always have access to your digital products.
    One exception to the rule is that if a product ever goes out of print, we are obligated (by contract) to stop vending it. So in those cases you will not be able to refresh your file.
    How long does the regeneration process take?
    File regeneration generally takes less than one minute. After clicking "Get a new file" you will see a status indicator, and links will be active again when the process is complete.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

It sounds like you have some fancy file-generating system that creates unique files for each customer, then takes them to a download link.

Who built this unique (customer-specific) file creator for you? And how is it implemented on your server?

Plugin Contributions

No, I don't have this system. That's why I asked if it was possible to do it in Zen Cart. I did a bit of studying on how to configure the settings for downloads and I wonder if the solution I came up would be the same that the one that website uses.
    So, lets say we have the option values set to expiry in 7 days and in the downloads controller to have the status value to [4]. So, customers can reactivate their products once the expire date have been reached.
    I don't know if that is the same idea that website is applying, and if it is possible to apply it in Zen Cart. Would that be possible? or is it more complicated than that?

Plugin Contributions

If you are wanting to allow customers to always be able to reactivate their download, is there any reason not to just provide them with a download that never expires ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Hi Linda, yes, I see your point. But I don't know if there is a downside to it. On the one hand I would like customer's loyalty by granting them a good service, but on the other hand I don't know what the consequences could be if there is a permanent link in their account. I would like your opinion about it.

Plugin Contributions

You could do this by customizing the code in:
    /includes/modules/pages/account_history_info/header_php.php

with the code in RED:
    Code:
    if (!isset($_GET['order_id']) || (isset($_GET['order_id']) && !is_numeric($_GET['order_id']))) {
      zen_redirect(zen_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT_HISTORY, '', 'SSL'));
    }

// bof: reset download
    if ($_GET['update'] > 0) {
      global $db;
      $sql = "UPDATE " . TABLE_ORDERS_PRODUCTS_DOWNLOAD . "
              SET download_maxdays= '" . DOWNLOAD_MAX_DAYS . "', download_count= '" . DOWNLOAD_MAX_COUNT . "'
              WHERE orders_products_download_id= '" . (int)$_GET['id'] . "'";
      $db->Execute($sql);
      $messageStack->add_session('header', 'Download has been updated, please retry ...', 'caution');
      zen_redirect(zen_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT_HISTORY_INFO, 'order_id=' . (int)$_GET['order_id'], 'SSL'));
    }
    // eof: reset download

$customer_info_query = "SELECT customers_id
                            FROM   " . TABLE_ORDERS . "
                            WHERE  orders_id = :ordersID";
    and, using your templates and overrides, customize the code for:
    /includes/templates/your_templates_dir/templates/tpl_modules_downloads.php

with the code in RED:
    Code:
          <td class="centeredContent"><?php echo ($is_downloadable) ? '<a href="' . zen_href_link(FILENAME_DOWNLOAD, 'order=' . $last_order . '&id=' . $downloads->fields['orders_products_download_id']) . '">' . zen_image_button(BUTTON_IMAGE_DOWNLOAD, BUTTON_DOWNLOAD_ALT) . '</a>' : '<a href="' . zen_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT_HISTORY_INFO, 'order_id=' . $last_order . '&id=' . $downloads->fields['orders_products_download_id'] . '&update=1') . '">' . zen_image_button(BUTTON_IMAGE_DOWNLOAD, BUTTON_DOWNLOAD_ALT) . '</a>'; ?></td>
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Thank you very much Linda for this impressive help. I didn't want to wait a day longer to thank you. I still don't know how is going to work, since I'm preparing a test site for the first time, I'll keep you updated with the progress. Once again thank you very much.

Plugin Contributions

You are most welcome ... keep us posted ...
    Linda McGrath