Plugin Contributions

Default Setting up 1.5.1 Demo Site without impacting current 1.3.X site?

Hello and thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Before I upgrade from 1.3.x - 1.5.1 I'd like to set up a fresh 1.5.1 install, for development / testing / playing purposes, under a sub-domain on the same server as my production ZC install.

Here's what I have (done) so far:
    1. setup demo.sitename.com
    2. created a "zencart151" directory under my production directory on the server
    3. Successfully pointed the demo sub-domain to the directory
    4. Unzipped and FTP'd the 1.5.1 files / directories to the newly created "zencart151" directory
    5. created a new "zc151" mySQL database
    6. Started the automated zc_install (this is where I'm holding for the time being)

Here's my rough Directory Structure (just for a visual)
    / (contains the production ZC)
    admin
    backup
    cache
    docs
    zencart151
    admin
    backup
    cache
    docs
    I've read and re-read the instructions here (http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?148) and they (in Section 1. Preparation) allude to exactly what I would like to do but I was just hoping that someone would be able to give solid "yup that'll work just fine" before I pull the trigger and assure me that the new installer is smart enough to NOT overwrite the current production install in the directories above it.

Really . . . I'm just looking for someone that's done this before to tell me I'm good, the production site will NOT be impacted (and then I'll happily write up my steps and send them off to ZC as a suggested addendum to the install directions) :)

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Setting up 1.5.1 Demo Site without impacting current 1.3.X site?

I can attest that running YOURWEBSITE/zencart151/zc_installer will not impact your current installation.

That said (hedging my bets), you should always backup both your database and your file structure before you take on such an undertaking.

Plugin Contributions

lat9 - Thanks . . . I really appreciate the help. I'll back it up twice just to make sure :)

Rich

Plugin Contributions

As long as the testing site uses a different filesystem path & database, it should not be a big deal. I would recommend not using the "configure.php" files from the old site when running zc_install. There are some changes from 1.3.x to 1.5.1 in these files. I would let the installer create new ones for you (this is what I typically do) and then modify them if needed afterwards.

And of course, as lat9 said: backup, backup, and backup ;) Cannot stress this enough in my mind. Also a good thing to do each time before a plugin / module / modification is made to the Zen Cart installation.

While it should not impact anything (as long as there are no links to the testing site), you may wish to edit your robots.txt in the testing subdomain to let search engines know not to index any pages in the testing subdomain.

The blog entry How do I rebuild my site on the new version is also a good reference document.
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker