Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Need help figuring out shipping - FedEx & USPS

New ZC user, just installed v151 via godaddy (automated install) and have been configuring. Bought the manual, which has been very helpful. But shipping seems to still be rather difficult to figure out. Physically located in the midwest.

My store has a limited number of products and for the last year, I have basically shipped the same 2 things. I don't see this changing much, though I might start offering parts, etc. Regardless, I have determined that there are really 2 viable shipping methods for my product:

FedEx domestically
    USPS for anything outside the lower 48.

My 2 boxes are basically

#1) 16" cube that weighs about 17 lb
    #2) 18" cube that weighs about 28 lb

Basically FedEx international is ridiculous because they only offer express for like $350, while USPS priority mail is more like $80.

FedEx domestic rate varies, it is much cheaper to the adjacent state than it is to the coast for the larger package. So all I want to do is get the rate estimate based on the destination and tack on a flat amount for packaging & handling.

USPS I want to get the rate (which is always based on weight) and then same as above for international shipments only (maybe domestic too)

I have looked briefly at Numinix and Ceon. Built in modules do not seem to be capable of communicating with FedEx or USPS to get rates based on lookup tables?? Seems like this should be something that is very commonly used.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. This is the last thing holding up my site from going live

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need help figuring out shipping - FedEx & USPS

Built in modules do not seem to be capable of communicating with FedEx or USPS to get rates based on lookup tables??
    One must have an account with FEDEX and USPS to be capable of communicating with their server for estimates

These account credentials are entered for each in the admin
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

I have both, so is it just that simple, and where do I enter in the login info I haven't found anything remotely like that

Plugin Contributions

where do I enter in the login info I haven't found anything remotely like that
    admin > modules > shipping > select one > install > fill out information requested

Also

admin > config > Shipping/Packaging > Shipping Estimator Display Settings for Shopping Cart > either 1 or 2 but not 0
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    admin > modules > shipping > select one > install > fill out information requested

Also

admin > config > Shipping/Packaging > Shipping Estimator Display Settings for Shopping Cart > either 1 or 2 but not 0
    I see no function allowing for tie-in with FedEx or USPS.

Plugin Contributions

In the 1.5 series, you need to download the addons from the Plugins Link at the top of the page.

Plugin Contributions

Ok, back to my original post.

There does not seem to be any built-in function for tying into FedEx and USPS to pull their shipping rates. This is what I was looking for input/suggestions for. I am familiar with plug-ins as I set up my VB4 forum by myself with no prior knowledge and have many plug-ins whirring along.

what I am asking for are suggestions as to how to perform the functions I listed in my OP.

FedEx domestic rate varies, it is much cheaper to the adjacent state than it is to the coast for the larger package. So all I want to do is get the rate estimate based on the destination and tack on a flat amount for packaging & handling.

USPS I want to get the rate (which is always based on weight) and then same as above for international shipments only (maybe domestic too)

I have looked briefly at Numinix and Ceon. Built in modules do not seem to be capable of communicating with FedEx or USPS to get rates based on lookup tables?? Seems like this should be something that is very commonly used.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. This is the last thing holding up my site from going live

Plugin Contributions

Ok, back to my original post.

There does not seem to be any built-in function for tying into FedEx and USPS to pull their shipping rates. This is what I was looking for input/suggestions for. I am familiar with plug-ins as I set up my VB4 forum by myself with no prior knowledge and have many plug-ins whirring along.
    Maybe my trifocals need a good cleaning but that's what I was saying. These functions need to be installed from a mod/addon. They are no longer Built-In. USPS and FedEx Freight/FedEx SmartPost

Plugin Contributions

Yes, I found those as well as the Numinix and Ceon ones. I don't think the FedEx Freight is applicable, just FedEx ground to the lower 48 is all I need.

So yes, there are many, many options it seems and I read sporadic reports of weird functionality and issues with this or that method. What I was looking for is feedback and advice about which modules, plugins, addons, etc, free or not, that would get me up and running.

I have very limited need at this time, per my OP, I really only ship 2 types of packages most frequently, and for my cart, that is all it will be for now. Both packages generally fall under the dimensional weight rule at least for FedEx, then for USPS international it doesn't care about dims as long as they are below a certain overall which I am so it just goes by weight.

So with those simple needs, which solution is the easiest, cheapest, and most reliable for me. That is my question.

Plugin Contributions

This is one of the reasons I am asking which would be best

http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...highlight=usps

Sounds like USPS changes things every year or something? So I would need a new plug in every year? Is this always the case? these are the types of concerns I have

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast