Plugin Contributions

Default 1.3.8a to 1.5.1 Best Practice Question

Hi All ,

I am upgrading one of my sites from 1.3.8a to 1.5.1 - in order to achieve this we are moving servers to get the latest PHP etc. So New site will have :

Ver 1.5.1
    New Template
    New Product Layout ( i.e reorganize structure and dump a few we dont sell and reorgaize the ones we do )
    New Mods - and removing some

My question is the best way to achieve this , I have installed a fresh copy of 1.5.1 setting it up and testing it I have created the products etc.

Now on switch over day I was going to upgrade the old site to 1.5.1 then copy accross the Customers and Orders table ( and associated tables over with it )

So my customers can still buy from the new site - I guess I want to know will this work before I get too far down the road.

Any input or thoughts appreciated.

Kind regards

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 1.3.8a to 1.5.1 Best Practice Question

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi , that seems to be the standard way of doing it , I think I am more creating a new store and want to transfer part of the old store over

I dont want the products , or any junk tables from old mods. , SO I am creating a New store on 1.5.1 with new products and new Mods and New template - ALL OK
    If I dump my Customers Table and import from the Old site am I aasking for trouble ?

Cheers
    Various Zen cart sites !

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by crazycucumber View Post
    If I dump my Customers Table and import from the Old site am I aasking for trouble ?
    If I may be frank, whenever a person asks that question that way, the correct answer is: Yes.

Customer data is contained in multiple tables: customers, customers_info, address_book, group_pricing, as well as in multiple tables related to issued coupons and issued GVs and order history.

You owe it to yourself to do a thorough study of all the tables involved in the data you wish to preserve.

Often times it's safer to bring the entire "old" database forward and then remove things from it that you know you no longer need.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Frank is good - will probably save me the headache later. - Change of tac then I will upgrade and remove old stuff , then hopefully just rearrange the product table.

Many thanks for the input.
    Various Zen cart sites !