Plugin Contributions

Default 500 Internal Server Error when installing

Hi guys,
    Hoping I can get some assistance here. I have tried twice to install Zen Cart. I had a previous version a while ago and a problem with my server removed all the data. So i had to start again and have gone through the upload twice, both times i get this error when trying to start the installer:

500 Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
    The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log.

I really dont know what going wrong. Im not brilliant with this stuff and dont want to fiddle with anything without asking for advice first incase I break it more. I have contacted my hosting company to see if its a problem they know how to fix but 24 hours later no one has got back to me.

Id really appreciate some help with this as I dont know how to fix this and cant use the cart till I do!

Thanks,
    Crystal

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 500 Internal Server Error when installing

The most common cause of that is having files/folders set to 777 permissions when the webserver has been configured to disallow such liberal settings and wants a maximum of 755 instead.
    That and other possible causes are discussed here: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...l-server-error

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Ah, see, i know that my server used to accept the 777 as i did it before, and my apologies for not reading the FAQ, I honestly didnt find that one when searching some how! Host has been contacted, and i'll wait and see what they say before changing the permissions!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You can safely try using 755 instead of 777. Then if there's still an issue, contact the host.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

thank you!