Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: German Language Pack for ZC version 1.5.x

The new version of the German language pack has been uploaded.

This latest update 1.5.7c v1.0 is tested on Zen Cart version 1.5.7c with PHP version 7.4.19

Changes:
    • An new entry will be made by installing this package = Admin > Configuration > German Language Pack Version = to check for new versions of the language pack.
    • zc_plugins function translation.
    • Removal of some files which aren't used in the international Zen Cart versions.
    • Please take note that I based the translation of the English language files on the standard German. If you prefer the Austrian or Swiss wording in your Zen Cart, you'll have to modify some files or request such. Although I don't expect this to be a major issue for online businesses.

If you find any errors or have suggestions, please leave a message in this thread.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Philibel View Post
    The new version of the German language pack has been uploaded.

This latest update 1.5.7c v1.0 is tested on Zen Cart version 1.5.7c with PHP version 7.4.19

Changes:
    • An new entry will be made by installing this package = Admin > Configuration > German Language Pack Version = to check for new versions of the language pack.
    • zc_plugins function translation.
    • Removal of some files which aren't used in the international Zen Cart versions.
    • Please take note that I based the translation of the English language files on the standard German. If you prefer the Austrian or Swiss wording in your Zen Cart, you'll have to modify some files or request such. Although I don't expect this to be a major issue for online businesses.

If you find any errors or have suggestions, please leave a message in this thread.

I read your notes from this module that you have copied a way to be notified of updates to the language module? Does it do anything else besides update that a new version exists? Would you be willing to show how we could add that feature to other language packs?

Forgive me but I didn't understand the purpose of the zencart_plugin.json file outside of the directory? Or where to put it....

Thank you!

Plugin Contributions

It's supposed to check for a newer version of the language package. An automatic update by download and install will break 99.99% of the sites. I.e the language file index.php echos in lines 49 and 53: Willkommen in unserem Online Shop!. Most people will edit it with their shop name (I did) or a catchy phrase.
    define_conditions.php can never be the same.

What's the use of it then?
    As mostly every new version of Zen Cart has a few updates where things change which have/haven't got an effect on the language files, it's not obvious to all if they need to update also those files. Also not every user knows for sure which version they already have especially if some time past between. Also most if not all users will want to wait with updating ZC until there's an appropriate language pack. (more updated language packs will improve the usability of ZC internationally as just over 17% speak English and 5% are native English speakers source:https://lemongrad.com/english-language-statistics/)

Where is it and how to use it?
    The files are in YOUR_ADMIN/includes spread out in the 4 folders besides /languages/

For use, one needs to:
    • Check with Design75 if he agrees you use it. I can't because that would be like borrowing the neighbour's lawn mower and just cascading the borrow to the whole street. So asking and crediting the writer of the function is the polite way.
    • Afterwards you needs to rename and edit the files. For existing language packs this is easier as you have the upload ID available. A new one doesn't so you'll need to ask the admin/moderators of ZC how to go forward with that.

zencart_plugin.json
    I adapted this too. If I'm not mistaken, it should only be on the update server side. Not in the web-shop. I'll update here as soon as I've received confirmation or correction about it.

Plugin Contributions

If you are adding the language pack to an existing website.... would you need to do anything special like move files from the plugin directory to the live site directories since the "Display Logs" mod was already installed?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by shrimp-gumbo-mmmhhh View Post
    If you are adding the language pack to an existing website.... would you need to do anything special like move files from the plugin directory to the live site directories since the "Display Logs" mod was already installed?
    If Display Logs is installed or not doesn't matter. The language files don't get changed by installing Display Logs. If those specific language files are absent or not doesn't even matter until you install the language pack XYZ in the admin panel. From then on as soon as a file is required i.e. you visit Display Logs while using the XYZ language and a XYZ language file for that page is missing or corrupt, you get an error. This can go from only a new entry to a new entry and the page returning an error 500 page.

The same thing will happen to you and/or your customers if you have an any plugin installed that isn't "out of the box" ZC 1.5.7c (except for language packs)

Hence the line in the install instructions that users can request a custom translation. It isn't useful to include a truckload of files for plugins of which users only use a few or maybe none. It would also mean the language packs would have to be updated almost every time someone updates his/her plugin. I'll probable have kicked the bucket before I'm cuckoo enough for that.

Plugin Contributions

On the gv_faq page I think there is a problem with the wording here:

Nach erfolgreicher Anmeldung wird Ihnen das Guthaben dieses Gutscheins auf Ihr

persönliches Geschenkgutscheinkonto
    gutgeschrieben. Ab sofort können sie nun dieses Guthaben für Ihre Zwecke verwenden.

When I translate it here is what I get:

1. By clicking on the link sent in the e-mail, which will take you directly to the gift voucher page. In order for this gift voucher to be valid, you must create an account in our shop - if you do not already have one. After successful registration, the credit of this voucher will be transferred to your

personal gift voucher account
    credited. You can now use this credit for your own purposes.

Not saying the translations is wrong but it looks like it has wrong spacing and bolding?

Plugin Contributions

When I take a look at it, it looks like:

erfolgreicher Anmeldung wird Ihnen das Guthaben dieses Gutscheins auf Ihr

persönliches Geschenkgutscheinkonto

gutgeschrieben.

(Colour added to fragment)

Code:
    Nach erfolgreicher Anmeldung wird Ihnen das Guthaben dieses Gutscheins auf Ihr <br />
      <br /><center><strong>persönliches ' . TEXT_GV_NAME . 'konto</strong></center><br /> gutgeschrieben.
    If people wish to put it in line and in plain text they can replace it with:

Code:
    Nach erfolgreicher Anmeldung wird Ihnen das Guthaben dieses Gutscheins auf Ihr persönliches ' . TEXT_GV_NAME . 'konto gutgeschrieben.
    erfolgreicher Anmeldung wird Ihnen das Guthaben dieses Gutscheins auf Ihr persönliches Geschenkgutscheinkonto gutgeschrieben.
    (Colour added to fragment)

I just kept the style that is also found in the versions from 2008 and 2015. The idea is that it highlights to customers where they can find it. By jumping out, it can prevent people from panicking and contacting the shop owner with: "The money is gone and where is my coupon?"
    Many people don't really read while reading. They speed over a text, select keywords and their mind fills up the blanks in between. That's if they even look for the FAQ. It's considered "langweilig" At least now they will read: "something, something, something, personal gift coupon account something, something, something"

Plugin Contributions

Update on zencart_plugin.json
    This will be removed from future updates.

Notice:

If you install any language pack in an already operative shop, you need to change the description and information of every article. The new language will have the description and information copied from the default language to the new language. The logic is that it's better to have a default description in the database then no description.

Plugin Contributions

Plugin Contributions

Two issues with automatic generated date display:

Storefront:

/includes/languages/german.php
    on line #18: make sure to put de_DE.utf8 first.
    on line #19: make sure $locales is used.

PHP Code:
    $locales = ['de_DE.utf8''de_DE''de''German'];
    @
    setlocale(LC_TIME$locales); 
    or

PHP Code:
    $locales = ['de_DE.UTF-8''de_AT.UTF-8''de_CH.UTF-8','de_DE@euro''de_DE''de''ge''deu.deu'];
    @
    setlocale(LC_TIME$locales); 
    As long as you place the UTF-8 versions first, you can switch the country versions to your own preferences and/or needs.

This will fix on the storefront things like:
    Dieser Artikel wurde am Montag 29 M�rz 2021 im Shop aufgenommen.
    into
    Dieser Artikel wurde am Montag 29 März 2021 im Shop aufgenommen.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345