Plugin Contributions

Default Depreciated errors in various scripts

My webhost upgraded PHP to 5.3.20 recently and my Admin module is now showing errors on various pages, but not all. I does not seem to affect my functionality, but is annoying.

I am on Zencart 1.3.9h, Patch 1.

For example, the Coupon Admin page to add a new coupon shows this:

Deprecated: Function split() is deprecated in /hxx/axxx/public_html/legacylxxxx.xxxadmin/coupon_admin.php on line 928

And in my shipping module:

Deprecated: Function ereg() is deprecated in /hxx/axxx/public_html/legacylxxxxxx.xx/admin/modules.php on line 307

I did a search in the forums here and didn't find anything about this version.

Upgrading is not an option right now.

Thanks

Tom
    Legacy Leathercraft

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Depreciated errors in various scripts

Several things wrong here.

1. You say "my webhost upgraded PHP", but "upgrading my Zen Cart is not an option right now".
    You need to be VERY mindful that only YOU can keep your Zen Cart software running a version that is compatible with the hosting server you're using.
    Your host will keep upgrading PHP because they MUST, both for security (and in some cases regulatory) reasons.
    You are responsible for keeping your Zen Cart up to date to be compatible with those changes. That's one of many reasons why Zen Cart puts out new versions.

My point: don't use the excuse that "upgrading is not an option right now". It may take allotting some time to it, but if you don't keep your site current, then one day it will completely break when your host does an upgrade.

2. The two "deprecated" cases you mention are a result of you running OLD (pre-v1.3.9h) versions of those files.
    Yes, you said you're using "v1.3.9h patch 1".
    But there are several things wrong with that statement:
    a) there was never a "v1.3.9h patch 1".
    There was a "1.3.8a patch 1"
    and there was a "1.3.9h"
    So it sounds like you've got an old 1.3.8a patch still lingering on your site. That is, extra files from 1.3.8a that don't belong on your 1.3.9h site anymore.
    You can clean up extraneous files using WinMerge to identify the ones that don't belong.

b) The two files you mentioned don't actually use split() or ereg() in them in 1.3.9h. They did in 1.3.8a, but not in 1.3.9h.
    So, that means you're actually still using the old 1.3.8a versions of those files.
    And that suggests to me you're probably also using many other older files and need to properly complete your 1.3.9h upgrade.
    Again, WinMerge is a handy tool for that.
    Process outlined here: http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...Obscure_Issues

The symptoms you posted about will disappear when you put the v1.3.9h versions of those files back on your server. But I STRONGLY recommend you also fix ALL YOUR OTHER FILES TOO.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks.

For item 1) please don't assume I am making excuses. FYI, I have a full time job and 2 side businesses pus family so you have no idea of my time availablility.
    My comment about the time issue is just that. Days and nights are full for the next month or 2. I'll upgrade eventually.
    I'm trying to remember exactly what what stopped me from updating to 1.5 when it was released. There was some fairly substantial problem - probably some screwup I did when I went to the 9h version. I'll have to look.
    But the remnant files make sense, as I was able to upgrade to .9h pretty easily. But I may have accidently done something dumb in Winmerge as I did the upgrade
    But this gives me a place to start.
    Oh the

Plugin Contributions

Thanks.

For item 1) please don't assume I am making excuses. FYI, I have a full time job and 2 side businesses plus family so you have no idea of my time availablility. I do the best I can with what I have available.

My comment about the time issue is just that. Days and nights are full for the next month or 2. I'll upgrade eventually. IN the mean time, I need to fix what's broken.

But, I DO believe in staying as up to date as possible.

I'm trying to remember exactly what what stopped me from updating to 1.5 when it was released. There was some fairly substantial problem - probably some screwup I did when I went to the 9h version. I'll have to look.

But the remnant files make sense, as I was able to upgrade to .9h pretty easily. But I may have accidently done something dumb in Winmerge as I did the upgrade to.9h.

But this gives me a place to start.

Sincerely
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I know I often sound pretty heavy-handed when I talk about upgrading. I never mean to come off sounding offensive. I always mean to convey the importance, and sometimes it's necessary to dispell myths or assumptions ... not necessarily for you alone but also for future readers of this discussion who may find it on google or here on this site while searching for answers to similar questions or error messages. I know upgrading takes time. I also know that a store's downtime is more expensive and frustrating because of the emergency it causes, compared to what it takes to do an upgrade without those other added pressures.

Wishing you well in your diagnostics and fixes.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you. I have downloaded the 1.5.0 and 1.5.1 as well as the upgrade pages.

I am just going to have to figure why I held off before..... That's what the time consuming part is. I've got quite a bit (for me) of customization...

Thank God for WinMerge.

Tom

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Keep this in mind to help ease the pain: http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading

Plugin Contributions

I decided to take the wise advise of the gurus here and do the upgrade to 1.5.

But, because I seemed to have some weird mix of 1.3.8 and 1.3.9h, I figured I'd start from a known point.

I downloaded my site, download a fresh copy of 1.3.9h and ran winmerge on them.

I copied the differences (like CEON snippets, etc) from the site files to the fresh 9h files, as needed... and transfered them to the server.

Now, I get a HTTP 404 File Not Found error in admin..

Anyone have an idea of what I screwed up? I plan to DL the site to a temp directory tonight and do a compariosn against what I uploaded, but though someone may have an idea... like a permisison or something that I'm missing.

Thanks

Tom

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

"404 Not Found" means ... the file you specified in the URL isn't present at the path/folder specified.

Plugin Contributions

Hi DrByte, Yup. I realize that. I'm just trying to figure out what I messed up. I'll get it figured out eventually.

Tom