Plugin Contributions

Default Question about Backup mySQL

Hi,

This is a really dumb question, sorry!

I always backup using Backup MySQL before I do anything. And I have happily restored using these backups many, many times!

My question is this:
    When I restore using backup mysql, am I wiping the entire db and then restoring exactly as it was (structure&content) ~OR~ am I simply restoring the data (content) to how it was?

The cause of my curiosity is that I am wondering if I add a mod to my site that includes an SQL patch and then decide to get rid of the mod by reverting the files and restoring the db thru Backup MySQL, am I COMPLETELY getting rid of any changes made by the sql patch (including anything structural)?

Need to know because I'm considering installing a mod with sql patch that was made for 139 into a 151 cart. I'll try it just to see what happens, but I'm nervous about sql consequences.

Thanks,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Question about Backup mySQL

The backup will revert you back to where you were before you ran the new patch/to the point in time when you created the backup. This would of course not take into consideration any orders received after you created that backup. Hence it's a good idea to got into maintenance mode before running a mod install if you know what you're doing...
    Which brings me onto the screamingly obvious issue. Why on earth are you thinking you can 'try' out a mod on a (presumably?) live site, let alone the fact you already know the mood isn't for your version of ZC!!? Set yourself up a dev copy of your store if you want to 'try' things out.
    Which mod is it your trying to install?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The "restore" will drop the existing tables and replace them (structure and data) with whatever is in the backup, thus losing ALL changes (including intentional ones) since the backup was made.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the input, picandnix.

The site is not live. But I still don't want to get set back. I already have about 6 or 7 mods in, running smooth. Plus I have tweeked the daylights out of the template. So I don't want to alter the structure of the SQL, possibly requiring me to run a bunch of sql patches and tweak settings again.

I want to try the mod, if it doesn't work out... reset SQL (data AND structure). I think the mod does work for 151, but if it doesn't, I would like to take a run at getting it to work. If is php that needs work, I might be able to fix it. If it is SQL, I won't be able to fix.

Here is what I want (in case you are curios):
    http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=500

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, DrByte!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Feznizzle View Post
    Thanks for the input, picandnix.

The site is not live. But I still don't want to get set back. I already have about 6 or 7 mods in, running smooth. Plus I have tweeked the daylights out of the template. So I don't want to alter the structure of the SQL, possibly requiring me to run a bunch of sql patches and tweak settings again.

I want to try the mod, if it doesn't work out... reset SQL (data AND structure). I think the mod does work for 151, but if it doesn't, I would like to take a run at getting it to work. If is php that needs work, I might be able to fix it. If it is SQL, I won't be able to fix.

Here is what I want (in case you are curios):
    http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=500
    lol, been there done that :-) it works fine in 1.51. I wanted to use the same mod so I too took a chance in my local version of store. It works.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by picandnix View Post
    lol, been there done that :-) it works fine in 1.51. I wanted to use the same mod so I too took a chance in my local version of store. It works.
    It works? Sweeeeet! Thanks!