Plugin Contributions

Default Does ZenCart work on GoDaddy?

Hi!

I currently host through GoDaddy and have my shopping cart through VevoCart. We have had some big problems the past week with our site not working and customers not being able to access our store. (It's kinda of pointless if customer's can't shop!) The problems have been linked back to VevoCart and they are not very helpful with support. So in theory what I would like to do is get rid of anything VevoCart on my hosting site, just leave my HTML files that I created as the website, and install Zen-Cart so my customers can shop again! Is there an easy way to do this? Would you not recommend going this route, but doing something else? I read on one forum that I shouldn't use the "1-click" install option that GoDaddy offers. Please keep in mind that I am very new to all of this and I had to take over for someone. I know the absolute basics to somewhat get us by! Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Missy

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: ZenCart & GoDaddy

Whatever host you use, it's NOT A GOOD IDEA to use 1-click installs.

And DO NOT host zencart with GoDaddy.

If you want to spend most of your life in tears and frustration, then use them... They are NOT GOOD FOR eCOMMERCE - period.

If you decide to go with zencart - or any proper eCommerce platform, then host with a company that KNOWS HOW IT WORKS.

These are my own opinions anyway.

If you need more advice on this, send me a private message.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

just leave my HTML files that I created as the website, and install Zen-Cart
    It doesn't work this way. Zen Cart is not designed as a back-end shopping cart for flat HTML files; it will become your entire site. You can style it to look like your original site if you want. You will need to copy all of your product information and pictures into Zen cart.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    It doesn't work this way. Zen Cart is not designed as a back-end shopping cart for flat HTML files; it will become your entire site. You can style it to look like your original site if you want. You will need to copy all of your product information and pictures into Zen cart.
    I am ok with that. Would I have to wipe everything in my root folder on GoDaddy?

Plugin Contributions

Well... there's no need to "wipe" stuff (just yet).

You should at the very least, FTP a full copy of your site to your local machine (home computer).

Now I don't know how the shopping cart element works with this VeVoCart thing - but the guess is it's come convoluted mishmash that is not worth salvaging.

However... if CUSTOMER RECORDS and PURCHASE HISTORY and other stuff like that are important to RETAIN, then you will need to find out how that information is stored in VeVo and how it is exported.

You can put zencart in the SAME folder as an existing site - AS LONG AS THE TWO SITES DO NOT SHARE FILENAMES OR FOLDERNAMES.

but as Glenn says... it is better to make your WHOLE site on zencart.

And IMO you should really not host on GoDaddy.
    20 years a Zencart User