Plugin Contributions

Default How to set a character limit for product title when in product listing mode?

I want to set a character limit when my product titles are showing in product listing pages.

I do want to keep the long titles when you are looking a product page, I just want to set a limit of character showing when customer browse for products as the title goes down on 2-3 lines and it doesn't look nice.

Is there any presets to do that? Or do you have to change code to do it? If so, what do I have to change and can you give me a detail instruction on how to do it.

Thanks you

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to set a character limit for product title when in product listing mode?

admin > config > product listing > Display Product Description > set length
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to set a character limit for product title when in product listing mode?

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel2506 View Post
    I want to set a character limit when my product titles are showing in product listing pages.

I do want to keep the long titles when you are looking a product page, I just want to set a limit of character showing when customer browse for products as the title goes down on 2-3 lines and it doesn't look nice.

Is there any presets to do that? Or do you have to change code to do it? If so, what do I have to change and can you give me a detail instruction on how to do it.

Thanks you
    Like kobra indicated, you can set the limits for the product description in your admin but not the product title. To limit the number of characters in a product's name on your product listing pages, you'll need to:

1. Copy /includes/modules/product_listing.php to /includes/modules/YOUR_TEMPLATE/product_listing.php.

2. Edit that file; for the v1.5.1 version, the code to change is on line 97. Change
    Code:
            $lc_text = '<h3 class="itemTitle"><a href="' . zen_href_link(zen_get_info_page($listing->fields['products_id']), 'cPath=' . (($_GET['manufacturers_id'] > 0 and $_GET['filter_id'] > 0) ?  zen_get_generated_category_path_rev($_GET['filter_id']) : ($_GET['cPath'] > 0 ? zen_get_generated_category_path_rev($_GET['cPath']) : zen_get_generated_category_path_rev($listing->fields['master_categories_id']))) . '&products_id=' . $listing->fields['products_id']) . '">' . $listing->fields['products_name'] . '</a></h3><div class="listingDescription">' . zen_trunc_string(zen_clean_html(stripslashes(zen_get_products_description($listing->fields['products_id'], $_SESSION['languages_id']))), PRODUCT_LIST_DESCRIPTION) . '</div>';
    to
    Code:
            $lc_text = '<h3 class="itemTitle"><a href="' . zen_href_link(zen_get_info_page($listing->fields['products_id']), 'cPath=' . (($_GET['manufacturers_id'] > 0 and $_GET['filter_id'] > 0) ?  zen_get_generated_category_path_rev($_GET['filter_id']) : ($_GET['cPath'] > 0 ? zen_get_generated_category_path_rev($_GET['cPath']) : zen_get_generated_category_path_rev($listing->fields['master_categories_id']))) . '&products_id=' . $listing->fields['products_id']) . '">' . zen_trunc_string($listing->fields['products_name'], 50) . '</a></h3><div class="listingDescription">' . zen_trunc_string(zen_clean_html(stripslashes(zen_get_products_description($listing->fields['products_id'], $_SESSION['languages_id']))), PRODUCT_LIST_DESCRIPTION) . '</div>';
    If 50 is not the right number of characters, just change the 50 to whatever works for you!

Plugin Contributions

Thank you so much! You are amazing!

Plugin Contributions

this does not help me. my title is still cut off? i changed '50' to '150' but my title length is still cut off at 64.
    i change table orders_products field products_name to varchar(128) (from varchar64) restart mysqld and still no good? i do not see produt_name in the table products?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by w2e View Post
    this does not help me. my title is still cut off? i changed '50' to '150' but my title length is still cut off at 64.
    i change table orders_products field products_name to varchar(128) (from varchar64) restart mysqld and still no good? i do not see produt_name in the table products?
    You can find products_name in the products_description table

Plugin Contributions

changed products_name in the products_description table to varchar 128.
    restart mysql.
    re-upload, and import. it finally works.

apparently, with varchar 64, imported title was saved as 64 characters. so i have to import again.

also when the title is cut off, import results in warning/error too.

thanks
    Last edited by w2e; 6 Jan 2015 at 10:37 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Be aware that if you changed the length of the products_name in the table products, you also have to do the same in the table orders_products or the name will be cut off on orders ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!