Plugin Contributions

Default why all of a sudden some of my italian pages go blank when clicking on links?

Hello,

I uploaded my shopping cart to a hosting service a few months ago in November and everything went fine. I needed some help with my shipping module (as I couldn't find an answer here on the forum - great forum by the way) so I decided to find a zencart contractor via Odesk. The fact is he didn't quite understand what he had to do and in the meantime I started working on another project, so I decided to postpone the whole thing and told the contractor I would have contacted him as soon as my project ended. It ended in January, went back to my shopping cart... to find that a few pages were acting quite strangely...
    My shopping cart is in two languages, english and italian. I'm trying to understand why all of a sudden some of my italian pages go blank when clicking on links, I just get a white screen. This happens:

when logging-in
    when logging-out
    when adding a product to cart
    when deleting a product from cart
    when checking out to fase 2
    when sending messages via the contact us form...

... (and I'm sure I'll find some other page with the same problem too). The thing is, when switching to the English version of the site everything works fine, the problem comes up only with the Italian pages. I contacted the contractor again and it seemed he had fixed the issue, but after a week or so I'm back to square one (he didn't tell me what the problem was when I asked him and when I wrote back he said he had family problems and couldn't follow up with the shipping module project... he even refunded my payment for fixing this blank pages issue, believe it or not)... So I think I'll try and fix this myself... Does anyone know what could cause these pages to go blank?

www.triskilian.com

ZC 1.5.0
    PHP version: 5.2.17
    MySQL version: 5.5.30-log
    Operating system: Linux
    Extra modules installed: login sidebox, shopping cart with image sidebox, zen lightbox v1.6.4, jScroller Sidebox Package (which doesn't seem to work, but that I can figure out later)...

Please help if you can, thanks a lot.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: why all of a sudden some of my italian pages go blank when clicking on links?

Quote Originally Posted by moksha View Post
    Does anyone know what could cause these pages to go blank?
    The answer will be in your debug logs: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?124-blank-page

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: why all of a sudden some of my italian pages go blank when clicking on links?

What error logs do you have in publicHTML/logs folder in your hosting account?

Plugin Contributions

out typed by the Doc!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks DrByte and Picandnix, I'll check that now...

Plugin Contributions

I got this today:

[23-Feb-2013 12:53:15] ERRORE: invio email fallito a "Admin" <admin@localhost> con oggetto "Avviso di Errore Login Admin" (failed validation)

The first thing I did today - thinking it could be a solution - was restore my last backup, but it didn't work, then I had to change my admin password because I couldn't access the admin anymore, first I requested a new password via the admin login page but didn't find that email in my inbox, so I run the sql query for temporary admin user&password and reset those details and it's ok... you think this has to do with those blank pages?

Last time I was on the site, however, the log says this:

[15-Feb-2013 17:41:56] PHP Warning: htmlspecialchars() [<a href='function.htmlspecialchars'>function.htmlspecialchars</a>]: Invalid multibyte sequence in argument in /home2/triskili/public_html/my_admin_foldername/developers_tool_kit.php on line 190

... and before that...

[15-Feb-2013 17:20:45] PHP Warning: Wrong parameter count for strip_tags() in /home2/triskili/public_html/_atriskilian/coupon_admin.php on line 641

... this is the day the contractor solved the blank pages issue:

[08-Feb-2013 00:58:45] PHP Warning: session_start() [<a href='function.session-start'>function.session-start</a>]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/triskili/public_html/includes/autoload_func.php:96) in /home2/triskili/public_html/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 113
    [08-Feb-2013 00:58:45] PHP Warning: session_start() [<a href='function.session-start'>function.session-start</a>]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home2/triskili/public_html/includes/autoload_func.php:96) in /home2/triskili/public_html/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 113
    [08-Feb-2013 00:58:45] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/triskili/public_html/includes/autoload_func.php:96) in /home2/triskili/public_html/my_admin_foldername/includes/init_includes/init_templates.php on line 28

Last edited by moksha; 24 Feb 2013 at 12:26 AM. Reason: obfuscate admin foldername

Plugin Contributions

Solved. The problem was here:

[23-Feb-2013 16:33:51] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/triskili/public_html/includes/languages/italian/email_extras.php:1) in /home2/triskili/public_html/includes/init_includes/init_templates.php on line 78

... I remember changing the "&egrave" to "é" and the encoding of that file to Utf-8, because accents of a few italian words where displaying incorrecly in some test emails when trying to create a coupon... and it worked, but probably it effected something else... so I replaced the "è" with the "&egrave" and changed to ANSI encoding again... that's the only thing I had to correct, all blank pages have now finally disappeared

Thanks for those links DrByte!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

TIP: If your site is actually using UTF8, then you should always be making sure you save your files with "UTF8-without-BOM" encoding. Get into that practice from now on.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Definitely, I read that too on the link you posted. Great tip, thanks for that