Plugin Contributions

Default 3 domains share products users etc 3 different stores

Hi

I'm new here and I know it's been asked but after searching I've struggled to find a way to so it but I have 3 domain names and would like to have them all share the same products but change the header on each 1 and possibly a different theme is this possible if so how can I do it please?

Thank you

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 3 domains share products users etc 3 different stores

This maybe:

http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=378

I haven't used it and I strongly suggest you install it on a Zencart test site(s) before trying to use it on a live store.

Plugin Contributions

Can just install the same Zencart files on each domain, but they all point at the same database, and then change the files on each domain to look different stylewise.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dgent View Post
    Can just install the same Zencart files on each domain, but they all point at the same database, and then change the files on each domain to look different stylewise.
    Bear in mind that as they all share the same database, every database setting will be STANDARD across all sites, so (for example) if you choose to HIDE the right column globally using the database setting, then ALL sites will have the right column hidden. There are scores (perhaps hundreds) of database settings that influence structure and layout - not a problem in itself, but remember that whatever is set in the database will apply to ALL sites connected to it.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    Bear in mind that as they all share the same database, every database setting will be STANDARD across all sites, so (for example) if you choose to HIDE the right column globally using the database setting, then ALL sites will have the right column hidden. There are scores (perhaps hundreds) of database settings that influence structure and layout - not a problem in itself, but remember that whatever is set in the database will apply to ALL sites connected to it.
    Not an issue, I get round that by turning off elements with CSS so they are not visible to the user.

Plugin Contributions

thinking aloud, would this not cause an issue with payments?

for example, with 1 database to rule them all, how would paypal express know what site to redirect the buyer too?
    wouldn't all three sites show the same sales data too?

Plugin Contributions

Well it wouldnt cause issues, yes all the sales would be logged on all sites. Paypal always redirects to the correct site, thats nothing to do with the database.

Ive done this exact thing. I have three dress sites running off the same database, one is focussed around body con dresses, the other designer dresses, and the other clubbing dresses. The three sites have different looks, and ive done some clever coding with php so the two other sites modify the keywords on the product names and their descriptions, so they all show different content. Ie 'Black Body Con Skirt' will show up as 'Black Designer Skirt' and 'Black Clubbing Skirt' on the other sites, like wise substituted words in the descriptions, metatags, everywhere, and google indexes each site independently with no duplicate content.

Allows me to have different content on the net, selling the same product, and without diluting my keyword content level on each site. Great thing is all the updates on one site affect the others, so simple to maintain.
    Last edited by dgent; 6 Mar 2013 at 10:51 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dgent View Post
    The three sites have different looks, and ive done some clever coding with php so the two other sites modify the keywords on the product names and their descriptions, so they all show different content.
    With respect, only a small portion of ZenCart merchants will have the skills that match yours, and I dread to think of the possible problems that the less experienced people will find themselves in by attempting to do what you have done.

I really don't think this is a task that should be trivialized.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    With respect, only a small portion of ZenCart merchants will have the skills that match yours, and I dread to think of the possible problems that the less experienced people will find themselves in by attempting to do what you have done.

I really don't think this is a task that should be trivialized.

Cheers
    Rod
    To be honest, it was surprisingly simple and only involved modifying around 10 files, with a few extra lines of code

For instance, this is the original code for the product name in your product description (tpl_product_info_display.php)

<!--bof Product Name-->
    <h1 id="productName" class="productGeneral"><?php echo $products_name; ?></h1>
    <!--eof Product Name-->

And this is the new code

<!--bof Modified Product Name Constructor-->

<?php

// The text string
    $newprodname = $products_name;

// The word we want to replace
    $oldWord = "Clubbing";

// The new word we want in place of the old one
    $newWord = "Designer";

// Run through the text and replaces all occurrences of $oldText
    $newprodname = str_replace($oldWord , $newWord , $newprodname);

?>

<!--eof Modified Product Name Constructor-->

<!--bof Product Name-->
    <h1 id="productName" class="productGeneral"><?php echo $newprodname; ?></h1>
    <!--eof Product Name-->