Plugin Contributions

application error A question about free addons (admin reply requested...)

FYI, I understand that commercial addons have much more flexibility as far as what they may or may not contain, so my question has to do with whether or not this addon would be acceptable as a free addon or not...

I wrote a great piece of software that will benefit ZenCart users significantly, however the source code is not something that I am willing to put out there under GPL. So I was wondering if an addon could be created as a free addon, in which the addon itself is a container and a module (and would use a GPL compatible license for small files). I mean, the addon will have some needed functionality for the rest of it to work, but the applications functions would be run in an iFrame within the module. I want this to have an impact on store owners and how they do business, and I want it to be free.

I understand the rules about linking to commercial services, call home, etc.. that is not my question (and honestly, the call home is irrelevant due to cross domain iframe rules). The question is only if a free addon could contain an IFrame within it in order to protect the functions and programming code. If not, I could create it as a free commercial addon I suppose. The point is, I want it to be free to use, but I do not want to give away the proprietary part of my code.

Thanks in advance for your answer and/or any ideas on the best way to keep the rules and provide a great tool for the community. Once it is finished, I can of course submit it for review if needed and you can decide if it fits into the free addons or not.

Oh and I should mention, the addon can be stand-alone and need not have access to the user configuration file(s) or database as none of its functions really need that. It only needs a little configuration from the store owner and its off to the races.
    Last edited by automaticinventory; 7 Mar 2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Added the last paragraph for more clarity.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: A question about free addons (admin reply requested...)

Quote Originally Posted by automaticinventory View Post
    I wrote a great piece of software that will benefit ZenCart users significantly, however the source code is not something that I am willing to put out there under GPL. So I was wondering if an addon could be created as a free addon,
    Don't confuse 'Free add-ons' with what is acceptable to be placed in the ZenCart plugs from this site. You can create any add-on with as many (or little) restrictions as you like if the add-on is hosted on your own (or some other) site.

Any plugins/add-ons that you wish to be hosted on this zencart site must adhere to the published rules and guidelines, which can be found here:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?53

One of the rules is that the code MUST be GPL.

in which the addon itself is a container and a module (and would use a GPL compatible license for small files). I mean, the addon will have some needed functionality for the rest of it to work, but the applications functions would be run in an iFrame within the module. I want this to have an impact on store owners and how they do business, and I want it to be free.
    Unacceptable Submissions

1. It is *not* acceptable to submit crippled modules which are only teasers for paid services. ie: a "limited" module with a sales pitch for a "full featured" commercial add-on is not permitted.
    2. Having "donate to me" buttons in the add-on, either admin-side or storefront-side or is not permitted. A single statement about where to send donations may be added to the documentation, but should be discrete and not plastered all over the place.
    3. Connectors to commercial services, such as embedded affiliate links or referral tracking links are not permitted.
    4. In the interest of protecting the end-user's privacy and identity, any sort of call-home capability is forbidden, whether disclosed or not.

Do any of these apply to your proposed contribution?

I understand the rules about linking to commercial services, call home, etc.. that is not my question (and honestly, the call home is irrelevant due to cross domain iframe rules). The question is only if a free addon could contain an IFrame within it in order to protect the functions and programming code.
    Although it isn't my place to make this call, I'd have to say that this would *probably* not be acceptable, but I guess it would also depend on the details. The issues, the way I see it, isn't the content of what the iframe could currently/initially contain, but what it could be *made* to contain after a person has installed the module.

If not, I could create it as a free commercial addon I suppose. The point is, I want it to be free to use, but I do not want to give away the proprietary part of my code.
    You can't really have this both ways. The code will either be GPL (acceptable) or not GPL (unacceptable) for inclusion in the zencart add-ons.

Thanks in advance for your answer and/or any ideas on the best way to keep the rules and provide a great tool for the community. Once it is finished, I can of course submit it for review if needed and you can decide if it fits into the free addons or not.
    All submissions are reviewed and vetted before being made publicly available. If the submitted code is GPL, and it doesn't doesn't fall under the 'Unacceptable submissions' rules, you'll have no problems with it being accepted. If you *think* your code will be breaking one of these rules, it probably does.

I'm not a ZenCart admin (or even a team member), but I do have a good appreciation as to why the rules have been put in place, and to be perfectly frank, your proposal doesn't currently sit well with me (due to the iframes). However, other than the GPL licencing, you proposal could be acceptable, I think it really does come down to the actual details/code though.

Cheers
    Rod