Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

help question admin suddenly super slow, web store randomly slow

I tried yesterday to install a facebook like box on my zen cart using this tutorial
    http://www.kerrinhardy.com/2010/05/1...en-cart-store/
    but it didn't work, so I removed the files and any edit I made. then last night I tried to login in my admin and check my zen cart store too and suddenly the admin is awfully slow, and my zen cart store which was running super smoothly and fast until yesterday is now slow too... I don't know what can cause this, I don't think it's server related since everything was working top notch until I tried that facebook like box, I ve seen similar threads on the forum but couldn't find anything to help...
    I have no idea about what could have changed suddenly and I don't think it's linked to that facebook like box thing...

my store is on a subdomain right now shop.fastnloud.com/zencart
    and hosted by Godaddy (no comment please) on a linux server but like I said everything was super fast and working super smoothly until I attempted to add that facebook like box.
    Here s the parse time thingy for the homepage Parse Time: 1.681 - Number of Queries: 638 - Query Time: 0.26575726554871
    Can someone help me?
    Thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: admin suddenly super slow, web store randomly slow

Visiting your site just now seems to show speedy load times.
    At least the page parse times are fine. Your images are slower to load, but the basic page is prepared and sent very quickly.

If I use the Web Developer Toolbar extension and tell it to disable image loading, your site flies.

Of course, this is all storefront-side.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

On the store front, if I go to some categories and products it somehow works ok but once I click to go back to home then it's super slow sometimes, and the admin is super slow, to the point that it takes several minutes to load, and I get sometimes only a white page...
    would it help if to replace all the files by some from a back up I did before, in case the attempt to add that faceook like box messed something up? or is it really something server related?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I really doubt that the "facebook" change would have anything to do with your admin. If I read correctly the instructions you followed, it doesn't touch anything in the admin, so that suggests your problem is server related.

And if it's isolated to the admin then it's naturally very hard to get outsiders to look at it, not just us but also GoDaddy support.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

but the weird thing is that it started after I tried to install that thing and uninstalled it, why would the server stop working the way it had been for the last 3 weeks... shall I try to ftp a new set of files from a backup in the admin?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Swingin' Sparrow View Post
    On the store front, if I go to some categories and products it somehow works ok
    Are there any particular categories or products that invokes the problem, or is it seemingly random?

but once I click to go back to home then it's super slow sometimes,
    How often is 'sometimes'? Every 2nd time? Once every 10th try? once a week? once a month?

and the admin is super slow,
    Is this all the time, or just at the same time(s) as with the front end?

to the point that it takes several minutes to load, and I get sometimes only a white page...
    In my experience, this sounds like something is causing either the webserver or SQL server to crash, which usually takes 'several minutes' to restart.

would it help if to replace all the files by some from a back up I did before,
    That would be what I'd be doing. However, I would also have a *current* backup for this purpose, specifically the one I'd created immediately before making changes or adding modules. If my backup was a year old this would be my last resort. Your backup is probably somewhere in between. It's your call.

or is it really something server related?
    At this stage it is impossible to say. My gut feeling is that it is *probably* a result of a change you made (perhaps not even directly related to the FB mod), but it isn't beyond the realms of possibility for the server to start having issues at around the same time.

Hhhmm, thinking about this, it could even be a problem with your own computer or internet connection. You store didn't seem abnormally slow when I tested it.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod,
    Well as for the categories, it seems that it's when I go back to homepage from them that it's getting slow, so I m not even sure the categories have a problem at all, whenever I try to open categories and access products it's working fine though not as fast as before.

As for the slowness to the homepage, it's random really.

For the Admin, it's been super slow ever since the problem started 2 days ago... pages take time to load and even when they display you still have that small waiting for.... at the bottom left corner of the page which means the page hasn t finished to load completely.

My latest back up of files for zen cart is recent, from the 22nd of February and I haven t done any other mods after that so it should work well, I replaced the admin and the includes with new files but I still have the same problem actually...
    I didn't do any other changes, I just attempted to add that facebook like box and removed it and edited back everything I had changed.

Now the funny thing, you say it could be my own computer or even internet connection causing this: I was somewhere else when I did the mods, and I came back to my shop to leave my computer, and later in that same shop I tried to work on my web store and realised it was not working well, the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the admin was so slow was "internet connection" and even maybe my computer but I haven t tried to open the admin on any other computer or tried in a different location with a different connection. I will try that and it will help to pinpoint where the problem is...hopefully. Cos I had a super fast working web store and admin and now it s annoying to even edit one product....
    Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Ok now both web store AND admin take for ages to load.
    this is what I have at the bottom of the page Parse Time: 5.675 - Number of Queries: 779 - Query Time: 0.64203425227356
    right now my web store is very slow... can't even access product when I click on them...

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod,
    it seems that it's when I go back to homepage from them that it's getting slow,
    As for the slowness to the homepage, it's random really.
    I hate to appear to be pedantic, but only one of these two comments will be true (unless I'm really missing something). In both cases we a considering the slowness of the homepage, which will either be random OR the result of going back from the categories.

so I m not even sure the categories have a problem at all,
    This is the purpose of my questions, I'm trying to figure out if there is some kind of pattern to it all, and if there is, we should be able to replicate the problem. Once we can do that the solution will be a lot easier to find.

whenever I try to open categories and access products it's working fine though not as fast as before.
    I didn't experience that when I tested/checked, but it is also possible I didn't go back from the same categories that you did/are. This may or may not be relevant to the problem, but if you are testing with one category and I'm testing with another we'll never know.

For the Admin, it's been super slow ever since the problem started 2 days ago... pages take time to load and even when they display you still have that small waiting for.... at the bottom left corner of the page which means the page hasn t finished to load completely.
    Although I'll have no way to test anything here, I have to ask, is it *all* of the admin pages that are slow, or just when attempting to perform a particular task? Which task?

My latest back up of files for zen cart is recent, from the 22nd of February and I haven t done any other mods after that so it should work well, I replaced the admin and the includes with new files but I still have the same problem actually...
    I didn't do any other changes, I just attempted to add that facebook like box and removed it and edited back everything I had changed.
    So this is now pointing back to a possible server (or network) issue. A bit of a coincidence in the timing, but nonetheless possible.

Now the funny thing, you say it could be my own computer or even internet connection causing this: I was somewhere else when I did the mods, and I came back to my shop to leave my computer, and later in that same shop I tried to work on my web store and realised it was not working well, the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the admin was so slow was "internet connection" and even maybe my computer but I haven t tried to open the admin on any other computer or tried in a different location with a different connection. I will try that and it will help to pinpoint where the problem is...hopefully. Cos I had a super fast working web store and admin and now it s annoying to even edit one product....
    Thanks
    Considering that at least two of us have checked your site without being able to reproduce the problem does make this a good possibility. Certainly a little more probable than most of the other possibilities.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Ok now both web store AND admin take for ages to load.
    this is what I have at the bottom of the page Parse Time: 5.675 - Number of Queries: 779 - Query Time: 0.64203425227356
    right now my web store is very slow... can't even access product when I click on them...
    I've just taken another look (within 10mins of this post), and it is still loading quite speedily for me.

Your reported parse time is very slow though. Query time is fine. This would imply a server issue rather than a network (or zencart) issue.

Alas, it doesn't bring us any closer to the cause or the solution. I'm running out of ideas. In fact I've only one idea left, and you're not going to like it (nor am I convinced myself) but your particular host does have a very long history of overloading their servers, and this is pretty much a classic symptom of an overloaded server.

Really, unless I/we can replicate the problem I don't know what to suggest.

Cheers
    Rod

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast