Plugin Contributions

Default major theme change (template ?)

Is there a way I can use concentric circles image (a circle within a circle) as the main theme/page in ZC ?
    I want to area map that image so visitors can click the main categories on the main page
    and individual items on products/lines pages.
    Something like this image :
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...00/42655/conci rcles_42655.htm&h=640&w=494&sz=9&tbnid=UYS8l8uDU890XM:&tbnh=80&tbnw=62&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dimage%2Btwo%2Bconcentric%2Bcircles%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q= image+two+concentric+circles&usg=__5oOrU9LOGNQMVGMKXDnyRn4sWhw=&docid=kr2EHpjw5c ZqlM&sa=X&ei=n2s6UeSrL8f1ygGlnICgCA&ved=0CDIQ9QEwAA&dur=203
    Thank you.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: major theme change (template ?)

And what business problem are you hoping to solve with this silly trinket?
    20 years a Zencart User

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

As an answer to your very first post, this was a little "cutting", schoolboy.

But the principle is valid. "What is your business objective?" is very valid, and it is a question you should be asking every time you want to introduce some modification to your online shop.

These days, LESS is more. People don't like to look at a screen which FIRST requires them to work out what's going on. If I have to spend 10 seconds trying to see what a whole bunch of concentric circles is for, I won't hang around. I didn't come to your site to be "challenged". I came to BUY STUFF. I will just leave the site and shop somewhere else.

So you do whatever it takes to make your visitors feel comfortable - and in MOST cases, this means sticking to PLAIN OLD BORING web standards. Very simple TEXT LINKS (or simple image buttons) which are clearly links, nice big pictures and a PLAIN, SIMPLE LAYOUT that is free of unnecessary distractions.

Webshops that get this SIMPLE USER EXPERIENCE right make a lot of money.

Most people getting into eCommerce for the first time make the classic error of trying to make the site entertaining. If I want entertainment I'll go to the movies. Stick to the purpose. Webshops are for buying stuff, so get me to the products quickly, and let me get out of there the minute I've made a purchase.

Plugin Contributions

So the answer is no - it cannot be done ? I did not ask about '... is this a good idea ..' , just asked ' can it be done '
    Consider this - a Zodiac circle - with sections for each sign and the user - first hovers on a sign (alt displays the sign name - for example) then user click on the sign .....

Plugin Contributions

Of course it's possible. Any time the question, "Is this possible using Zencart?" is asked, the answer is always 'yes'. Just depends on how much coding ability/time you have. If you create the image map and use that image as the copy in define_main_page.php, turning off the header, footer and sidebox columns. I've done something similar. I'll have to see what you come up with to have an opinion about whether it's a good idea.
    Last edited by stevesh; 12 Mar 2013 at 03:44 PM.

Plugin Contributions

How good are you at HTML ?

Here's a tutorial I did about 12 years ago on the <map> function.

It's seldom used these days, but I believe it will deliver valid HTML
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

You could also build a <table> - about 12 x 12 cells.

Then create an image with all your circles and slice it into 144 segments. Then position each segment into adjacent cells, apply ALT tags to each relevant segment.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    You could also build a <table> - about 12 x 12 cells.

Then create an image with all your circles and slice it into 144 segments. Then position each segment into adjacent cells, apply ALT tags to each relevant segment.
    Thanks Schoolboy

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Stevesh - for the precise answer- very informative .

Plugin Contributions

For more flexibility than a table would allow, you could put the one big image as the background for your content area, and make a <div> for each link you want and position each one with position: absolute; so it will go exactly where you want it and not interfere with others. Make the divs transparent or put a gif in them as desired.