Plugin Contributions

help question Taxcloud and TICs

I'm using ZC 1.5.0 and have installed Tax Cloud. I understand that I need to go to Locations / Taxes > Tax Classes and add some new tax classes based on TaxCloud's TICs listed at https://taxcloud.net/tic/default.aspx .

But I'm selling books, fiction ad nonfiction, thshirts, both fine and costume jeerly, decor and other knickknacks. I do not see codes for those. But I understand that after I've entered the codes, I need to go and adjust the informat6ion under Catalog > Categories / Products > [Category] > Test Widget and down to the Tax Class dropdown menu.

This is where I get lost. Am I just supposed to put 00000 for everything (like nonfiction/fiction books, silver pendants and mousepads) except my tshirts then put 00010 for them and be done with it? Or do things like books and the other products get more than 00000??

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Taxcloud and TICs

I'm guessing you'd be better served to take your TaxCloud questions (such as TICs etc) to the folks at TaxCloud.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I would have, but I saw they are a member of this forum so I posted it here for them to see. :)

Plugin Contributions

Hello, the taxability codes (or TICs) allow TaxCloud to determine accurate tax rates for products in different states. The default TIC (00000) represents general goods and services. This can be used for many products which don't have more specific taxability rules. You can also set a different default TIC code for your cart in TaxCloud if most of your products fall into a different category.

So to answer your question - no, you don't have to enter 00000 for all of your general products. You only need to set up TICs for the products that don't fall into the general category. You would then add the clothing TIC and apply that to your t-shirts. Please let me know if this doesn't answer your questions.

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: Taxcloud and TICs

It answered it somewhat. Thank you.

Is there a way to get the little drop down tax codes menu box to display what the codes mean? (like 000000 = General, or 00010 = Clothing, or ?????? = Books, etc so we can know what category we are selecting when we pick a code? *desperately hopeful look*
    --Sanguinarius
    "If you're reading this, I'm probably ripping my hair out."
    My Store: Dreamland Gallery

Plugin Contributions

Hello, this would be technically possible but it would be quite a bit of work to modify the Zen Cart code to display both bits of information. We will certainly keep this on the list as a potential enhancement for the future. Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Just as an example, to make sure I'm on the same page as you, what tax code should I use for books? 00000?
    --Sanguinarius
    "If you're reading this, I'm probably ripping my hair out."
    My Store: Dreamland Gallery

Plugin Contributions

Yes, that is the correct TIC to use for books. However, if the books can be considered to be school supplies they would use a different TIC.

The basic idea is that the general TIC (00000) can be used for all products unless there is a more specific TIC that can be used. The list of TICs relates to categories of products that have specific taxation rules in some states. That is why there is are not TICs for every category of product.