Plugin Contributions

Default Need to add custom form and advanced search to a new page

Hello,

Received a request from a client to create a page like the following: http://www.peterbiltparts.com/ask-pete

I looked in the plugin section hoping to find plugins for either one or both types issues. But didn't see what I need. Then searched the forums. There was one suggestion of using machforms for an ezpage, but was hoping to be able to create the custom form without any third party service. Is this possible?

As far as the search box goes, apparently they want customers to be able to search their site by keyword, part# or manufacturer. Any suggestions for this?

Would really appreciate some direction here or suggestions.

Thanks much,

webmiss

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need to add custom form and advanced search to a new page

I have used Machform and like it a lot. It's not a 'service' as such but just a program that lets you create forms. Not free, but not expensive.

Plugin Contributions

I looked at the Machform and you are right, it is not expensive. Where would I get the instructions for adding the form on zencart? Would I just add the form to an ez-page?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

So, isn't this really just a glorified contact-us page? Why re-invent the wheel if the core is already there?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

The form in question is in addition to the contact form. I found something about a band sign up form and set up a zencart on my pc (I installed wamp to use for testing purposes.) I thought I would try that first to see how it works. Did some modifying of the form fields. The form is showing up, but it looks weird. Have to work on formatting, I suppose. If I can't get this solution to work and look good, I'll try the Machform.

Plugin Contributions

You create your form in Machform, then paste the resulting iframe code into an EZ page.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you must use machform then you have the complexities of also needing to work out a bunch of custom coding to also replicate the search fields for the search requirements.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by webmiss View Post
    http://www.peterbiltparts.com/ask-pete

There was one suggestion of using machforms for an ezpage, but was hoping to be able to create the custom form without any third party service. Is this possible?
    Yes... very easy to create and embed machforms. The new version is really fantastic with loads of new functions and features. The form link is embedded using javascript - which is far better than the vulnerable <iframe> method used in prior versions. The (very minor) drawback is that Machforms are on their own platform, so are independent of ZC - but this can have advantages as it retains specific types of enquiry in silo'd formats. I use machform a LOT for online quote requests and much more...

Quote Originally Posted by webmiss View Post
    As far as the search box goes, apparently they want customers to be able to search their site by keyword, part# or manufacturer. Any suggestions for this?
    Core ZC will perform all three in the ADVANCED SEARCH. You can also add these three bits of data to the general PRODUCT DESCRIPTION TEXT, and then it is assured of being searchable.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for all the input, guys. Really appreciate it. Got a custom form up using the band sign up zipped file mentioned in another post and modified it for my purposes. It's working. The client decided that the current search bar at the top is all he really needs at this time. See http://www.allmakestruckparts.com/in...in_page=ask_al

Have a great day!