Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Google merchant Centre Feeder query

Hi

Install instructions for the google merchant centre data feeder by numinix are not clear. Am I right in saying that i can drag and drop the file Google_merchant_centre(once unzipped) into my store root file using something like filezilla and there are no files being overwritten?

Thanks

Phil

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Google merchant Centre Feeder query

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lomas View Post
    Hi

Install instructions for the google merchant centre data feeder by numinix are not clear. Am I right in saying that i can drag and drop the file Google_merchant_centre(once unzipped) into my store root file using something like filezilla and there are no files being overwritten?

Thanks

Phil
    Well... not exactly.

ALL plugins are designed to "match up" with the folder structure of zencart, so if you unzip the merchant center feeder modules and then take a look through the sub-folders, you will see files (and perhaps sub-sub folders with files) "match up" with the zencart folder structure.

All you need do is ensure that you "port" files across (FTP) to the server, and that the files are placed into their correct zencart folder.

FTP does not over-write files unless there are files of the same name at the same directory level. And a good FTP program like WSFTP Pro will alert you to a potential overwrite before it happens.

The rule about installing modules/plugins are simple:

1. Read the instructions thoroughly (even if they are not well-written)
    2. Go through the directories in the module and look at the files, then see if files of identical names exist already on the server (in the SAME locations as those in the plugin).
    3. If there are identical files at the SAME LEVEL, then establish whether you need to EDIT the existing live file (by coping in elements of the plugin's file), or whether it is safe to overwrite the live file.
    4. If you are installing a plugin for the FIRST TIME, it is best to do this on a DEVELOPMENT INSTALLATION of your webshop.
    5. ALWAYS perform BACKUPS of both the database AND files before loading a new plugin.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Hi Schoolboy

Thanks for the above. I have installed a few mods before no problem. The only reason for asking is that the file structure appears to be in no relevant order and it doesn't suggest how far down the structure you start as there appear to be various mods for upgrades as well as fresh installs.
    the first 3 folders 1 level down are Catalog, docs and SQL update which makes me think that catalog and sql update are new root file folders however in the catalog folder are folders for includes and your_admin(which I would obviously change to my own admin file name). Which I would have though were root folders or am I wrong? Is there anyone on the forum who has installed this mod that could help me out?

Rgds

Phil

Plugin Contributions

The DOCS folder is just a set of Installation Instructional Files, and is NOT loaded to the server.

After unzipping the module, you will see the following folders:

docs
    includes
    YOUR_ADMIN

If you open DOCS you will see:

catalog\docs\fec\index.html

If you view that index.html file in a browser it will provide instructions for installation.

So... everything in the docs folder is just for rendering the install instructions.

The REMAINING TWO folders:

includes
    YOUR_ADMIN

... contain the folders/files that need to go to the server.

SO...

Step one is to open: catalog\docs\fec\index.html for viewing the install procedure.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

OH... an yes... A level ABOVE the three folders I refer to, you will see the install.sql file which needs to be run on a fresh install of the module.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I guess I have downloaded the wrong version of the download because I dont see Docs, include and your_admin when I unzip i see catalog, docs and SQL update. I will have a look and see if I can find the version you are looking at.

Plugin Contributions

My version MAY NOT BE THE LATEST ONE...

... but the principle is still the same. the DOCS folder is not for sending FTP - but contains installation instructions.

Just open up DOCS folder and drill down until you see index.html . Click on it to open it in a browser window.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I could have predicted this. I copied across the includes, your_admin(renamed) and feed folders from the latest download and got this message when I ran the sql

Not Acceptable

An appropriate representation of the requested resource /ecommerce/xxxxxxxxxxx/sqlpatch.php could not be found on this server.(the xxxx i have put in to replace my admin name)

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

any thoughts?

Plugin Contributions

Have you previously installed modules that have required SQL patches?

Or is this the first time you are applying a SQL patch?
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Where are you hosting your site?
    20 years a Zencart User

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast