Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default 2 different sites on same server but want to use same product images

I have 2 different sites on same server (one is an addon domain), but want to use the same product images for both sites so I can save space and make it easier to update since they both use the same pictures.
    What do I need to do?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 2 different sites on same server but want to use same product images

While this is technically possible, it is not advised. It is fairly complex to do this - there are threads dealing with this, so go search for them.

Firstly, you will LOSE a lot of additional functionality that relies on images being in a local folder - such as the extra images features, image caches that many add-ons need, etc. You will also not be abe to use image enhancing tools such as Image Handler (in my opinion a MUST-HAVE module).

Secondly, the tiny saving in space will be offset by the slower site loading speeds. (Not only do images have to be colleced remotely, but BOTH sites are using the same set of resources).
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 2 different sites on same server but want to use same product images

You will loose the ability to upload from the admin - images in the addon domain

But you can reference in the configure.php file of the addon domain - assuming that the other site is at the root of the account or at "/" - where "domain" is the domain of the root account
    Code:
    define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'http://domain.com/images/');
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

You may want to look at this to get a perspective on what may be required:

http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...ion:Web_images
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

thanks for the quick answers!
    I got it working, it it is eaxactly what I want, I do not need uploading in the addon site.

One other question... now if my main site is what I will do all my products changes, once I have done any changes and need to update my addon site...would the best way is to just copy the changes from my database? if so which tables on the structure do I need to export?

Plugin Contributions

once I have done any changes and need to update my addon site...would the best way is to just copy the changes from my database?
    Are these sites exactly the same as to products???

You will get nicked for duplicate content by the SE's

Best to manually add the image names to your addon site
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

yes, they are using the same products, images and descriptions but everything else is different. If I manually add the new products, would there be a difference from the SE's perspective?

Plugin Contributions

If I manually add the new products, would there be a difference from the SE's perspective?
    While no one knows precisely what Google uses - I would suspect NO difference if the content is exactly the same

If the same - why two sites??
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

the 2 sites have a different look, eventually I will have different products when I can scource more new items to put up. I just open them and do not want to leave one empty.

Plugin Contributions

I would get and learn to use the easy populate addon
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast