Plugin Contributions

Default cant install due to php version check

Hi All

i have convinced my boss to upgrade to the lastest version of zen cart (1.5.1) from 1.3.7

now - unfortunately when i am trying to install 1.5.1 on our server i am getting an install error because zen thinks we have the incorrect php version installed

our server has PHP 5.2.4 installed but zen thinks this is too old as the server reports the version as 5.2.4-2ubuntu5.24

is there any way to skip the php version check on install?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: cant install due to php version check

Quote Originally Posted by bigduffeye View Post
    Hi All

i have convinced my boss to upgrade to the lastest version of zen cart (1.5.1) from 1.3.7

now - unfortunately when i am trying to install 1.5.1 on our server i am getting an install error because zen thinks we have the incorrect php version installed

our server has PHP 5.2.4 installed but zen thinks this is too old as the server reports the version as 5.2.4-2ubuntu5.24

is there any way to skip the php version check on install?
    Even if there was a way to skip the check it wouldn't do you much good. The check/test is there for a reason.

In MY experience, any host still supporting PHP5.2 almost always has a more current version available for your use (if not, I'd be very concerned about the security of your hosting site)

Some systems make this a user selectable option via the cPanel (or equivalent), others will require configuration changes that may or may not be within the users capacity to do so, in which case all it generally needs is an email or support ticket to your host, and they'll make the changes for you.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

wont upgrading the php version break the existing zen cart sites that are already running on the server though?

also - thanks for all your help rod, you have been really helpful

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by bigduffeye View Post
    wont upgrading the php version break the existing zen cart sites that are already running on the server though?
    Yes, if they are hosted under the same account.

PHP has been a rather 'unusual' one in regards to the updates in that unlike most other service upgrades (which are generally backwards compatible with earlier versions), the PHP developers managed to introduce significant compatibility issues with their update from V5.2 to V5.3 (I think that's correct).

Anyway, the upshot being that to mitigate the issues many hosts now run both versions concurrently, the specific version being used dependent on any given users account/settings.

As I say, this is very unusual practice for server software (which is generally system wide), but it is the only way for this particular upgrade, because as you've noted, some software requires PHP5.2 (or below) while others require 5.3 or above.

If you do have more than one existing zencart (of the older version) you'll need to update those with the php5.3 update.

Cheers
    Rod