Plugin Contributions

Default upgrade/replacement

Well i am coming from 1.3.9h originally, so i think i am posting the question in right place.
    I had 1.39h zen-cart with 6-7 addons. Some addons were requiring core files modifications, some we are not using anymore, and we need a cleanup.
    Last autumn I did the db upgrade to 1.5.0. then upgraded addons. everything is working.
    Now..
    I would like to have my upgraded database to use zen-cart files from clean install of 1.5.1.
    I will write my steps here, the last one is confusing me because this is an active 24/7 site and i have to have as less downtime as possible.
    1. make a copy of database.
    2 take a fresh 1.5.1 files in some different folder A.
    3. make a database upgrade from 1.5.0 to 1.5.1
    4. connect this new upgraded database with new 1.5.1 files within folder A
    5. install new theme
    6. install addons.
    7. setup store settings from existing store. All within folder A

Now... last step is replacing the old folder files with files from folder A.... and until i will do all this steps....in real store database there will be more registered people, and more orders.
    7. How do i make the database switch work without loosing this new orders and new customers and having maximum couple hours of a down time?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: upgrade/replacement

Simple: you don't switch the database. You upgrade the live one, when it's time to go live.
    See here: http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

so where is no way to do this without temporarily shutting down the site for a while...
    there should be some tool to export import new customers and their orders...would make this upgrade life so much easier.
    thanks for the respond!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The last site-upgrade I did using the method I mentioned had only 4 minutes of downtime.
    So, since the downtime was so SHORT, we could have done it in the middle of the day .... but we did it late in the evening anyway.

There's no need for it to shut the site down for hours if you've pre-prepared everything and tested it well in a duplicate copy of the site first.

Importing/exporting customers and products and everything else you could dream of would take a MUCH LONGER time, and be much more prone to error.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

you do realize you saved me :) thank you! big time!