Plugin Contributions

Default Listing Items That Ship In Multiple Packages.

Is it possible to list an product that weighs 180 lbs. as 3 packages weighing 60 lbs each?
    So that when this products shipping cost is calculated it will be quoted as 3-60 lb. packages?
    I tried post a similar question in the add-on shipping module section, but have had no response, so I thought maybe I was asking in the wrong place.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Listing Items That Ship In Multiple Packages.

Quote Originally Posted by 14all41 View Post
    Is it possible to list an product that weighs 180 lbs. as 3 packages weighing 60 lbs each?
    So that when this products shipping cost is calculated it will be quoted as 3-60 lb. packages?
    I tried post a similar question in the add-on shipping module section, but have had no response, so I thought maybe I was asking in the wrong place.
    configuration_>shipping&packaging-> Enter the Maximum Package Weight you will ship.

What you are proposing needs to be considered with caution. What happens if it isn't physically possible to split this item into 3 packages? It's all very well getting a quote based on this, but it doesn't do you much good if you can't post it in the same manner in which it was quoted.
    The item could simply be too heavy for the carrier to handle.
    Also, as a general rule, the cost of posting 3parcels @60bs each will have little resemblance to the cost of a single item weighing 180lbs.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

I use a warehouse that drop ships and does specify how the product is packaged. I am simply trying to see if it is possible to duplicate the way the warehouse quotes using UPS.
    For instance there is and item and it weighs 180 lbs. UPS will not ship it because it is more than 150 lbs. So the warehouse makes it two boxes weighing 90 lbs. each and quotes it as 2 boxes. Yes, it costs more, but freight is not a good option for residential delivery.

I have tried the setting you are pointing to, but it is not working as it should. I think my shipping module is altering the outcome. Out of necessity I have install Ceon's Advanced Shipper which also has a max weight setting. The module will not divide a single item. It sees each item as a single box and if one box is over weight it will not quote that box. I know this makes it more complicated and the module is not to be discussed in the forum as far as support goes.
    I would welcome a PM from those who may have been down this road before.
    I do appreciate then advice and guidance very much Rod.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by 14all41 View Post
    I think my shipping module is altering the outcome. Out of necessity I have install Ceon's Advanced Shipper which also has a max weight setting. The module will not divide a single item. It sees each item as a single box and if one box is over weight it will not quote that box.
    You are correct that the advanced shipper module ignores the zencart settings. The UPS rate quote is built in includes/modules/advshipper/class.AdvancedShipperUPSCalculator.php. You didn't indicate how many of these products you had but you may want to add some code here to do what you want.

Plugin Contributions

I have roughly 6-8 items out of about 1500. When it come to code I am a novice.