Plugin Contributions

Default Setting up a coupon code to receive a free product

Have a request from my client I'm not sure how to set up. They want to use and market a coupon code, "freetamales", that customers can type in when they purchase 1 of 7 tamale "survival kits" and get a free dozen tamales in their choice of 5 flavors. We don't have a single dozen tamales as a product, only as additional add-ons (for $13 each additional dozen) to the tamale survival kits which are sets of 3, 4, 5 and 6 dozen tamales. See the cart to see what I mean... https://www.texastamale.com/store/ta...ival-kits-c-1/

So, if I setup a Coupon in coupon admin, I can create the "freetamales" coupon code, but that only sets a discounted price or percentage to the entire order, not just to the 7 survival kit products. It also cannot specify a free product (or add-on) they would get if the code is correct. So that probably won't work.

I also have the single dozen tamale add-ons available on each of the 7 "survival kit" products for $13 each. I could change the +13.00 in Option Values to 0 (or free) but I need them to enter in the coupon code somewhere to get the discount. If I set up a new Option Name as Text, it doesn't show up in Option Values to enter in what the code would be to get the discount on the survival kit purchase.

Anybody have any ideas how to go about this? Many thanks ahead of time!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Setting up a coupon code to receive a free product

Quote Originally Posted by getyler2 View Post
    Have a request from my client I'm not sure how to set up. They want to use and market a coupon code, "freetamales", that customers can type in when they purchase 1 of 7 tamale "survival kits" and get a free dozen tamales in their choice of 5 flavors. We don't have a single dozen tamales as a product, only as additional add-ons (for $13 each additional dozen) to the tamale survival kits which are sets of 3, 4, 5 and 6 dozen tamales. See the cart to see what I mean... https://www.texastamale.com/store/ta...ival-kits-c-1/

So, if I setup a Coupon in coupon admin, I can create the "freetamales" coupon code, but that only sets a discounted price or percentage to the entire order, not just to the 7 survival kit products. It also cannot specify a free product (or add-on) they would get if the code is correct. So that probably won't work.

I also have the single dozen tamale add-ons available on each of the 7 "survival kit" products for $13 each. I could change the +13.00 in Option Values to 0 (or free) but I need them to enter in the coupon code somewhere to get the discount. If I set up a new Option Name as Text, it doesn't show up in Option Values to enter in what the code would be to get the discount on the survival kit purchase.

Anybody have any ideas how to go about this? Many thanks ahead of time!
    Oops, I forgot about adding Restrictions to the coupon code. I've got it setup now to where the $10 off gets applied only to the tamale kit products (good!), but I still don't know how to approach the issue of providing the choice of 5 flavors of the free dozen tamales. Any ideas on that?