Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: ZC 1.6 Installer

Minor grammatical change for the 'htaccess support' help window.

This maybe because you are not using Apache as your Web Server ..
    This may be because you are not using Apache as your Web Server ..

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by torvista View Post
    With mysl server off and my pc disconnected from the internet no page detects the absence of the mysql server...it only gets flagged after entering the db details on Database setup page and pressing Continue.

Its a small point but I am thinking brand new user here and a bit of psychology, I know I would want the initial inspection page to tell me that all is not well, but would be irritated on being informed only after filling in form fields...which no doubt would time out before I had fixed the problem.
    Some further info on this. The initial page does some checking on the availablity of MySql, however only tries the actual connection if there is an existing configure.php.

If there is no configure.php. then testing the connection becomes problematic, as we don't know any details about the mysql server. We can asssume that host=localhost, but this is not always the case for some hosting providers. Also, to test the connection I would normally have to pass a user/password. Altough I guess I could pass some nulll parameters for that, and just look at what the error was.

Even then, I would have to make the error a non-fatal one, given that I can't assume localhost.

Still thinking on this one.

Plugin Contributions

Still thinking on this one.
    This is the "problem" with sticking your head above the parapet and asking for opinions for once, everyone and his dog will nitpick to death on (non) issues that maybe don't deserve the time spent on them, at the expense of progress. Law of diminishing returns.

Still, I would say its an indication of how (some) people in the forum really just want to contribute when they can (are allowed to) and want to make the product the best it can be. Do it once and right, where possible.

I think the installer has to be particularly comprehensive/friendly/fault-free as its the first and maybe last contact a new user will have. Helps to alleviate the shock of the classic template.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

This is the "problem" with sticking your head above the parapet and asking for opinions for once, everyone and his dog will nitpick to death on (non) issues that maybe don't deserve the time spent on them, at the expense of progress. Law of diminishing returns.
    I guess the whole point of moving the devlopment stuff to Github and the forum posts is to 'stick our head over the parapet'

So far there hasn't been too much 'nitpicking to death', and I am appreciative of the feedback so far. Replies here have been useful and welcome.

Plugin Contributions

Just ran the installer (as downloaded today) and it hung at the end of creating database with this log error
    PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in ......\zc160\includes\classes\db\mysql\query_factory.php on line 40
    30s is the default setting in php.ini on the current verisons (1.82/1.83) of Xampp.

It completed ok when changed to 60s so maybe a

ini_set('max_execution_time', 60);

is required somewhere in the installer.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

Just ran the installer (as downloaded today) and it hung ...
    Maybe just call "set_time_limit(30);" inside ajaxGetProgressValues.php to restart the 30 second timeout each time the progress is refreshed? Maybe combined with a "cancel" button during the install / upgrade process? May be a little spammy, but would ensure no timeout as long as the person installing is sitting on a screen with the install processing....
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker

Plugin Contributions

Just my 5 cents to the new installer:

Had first 'contact' with ZC1.6.0 today. Downloaded using git and followed the commands as outlined by swguy - no problems.

Ran the installer on my local dev server and encountered no problems at all. Just a bit puzzled by the message (not verbatim): '....no .htaccess support, you are either not running Apache...... etc'

I am running a fully fledged LAMP stack on a Linux Mint 15 (alas Ubuntu 13.04) box. That box is hosting several 1.3.9h and 1.5.1 installs - all running w/o .htaccess problems.

Despite the warning about .htaccess ZC 1.6.0 fired up without problems, store side and admin.

Parameters of the dev server:

Server Information
    Server Host: Andromeda (127.0.1.1) Database Host: localhost (127.0.0.1)
    Server OS: Linux 3.8.0-19-generic Database: MySQL 5.5.32-0ubuntu0.13.04.1
    Server Date: 08/22/2013 22:48:14 Database Date: 08/22/2013 22:48:14
    Server Up Time: 22:48:14 up 5:35, 1 user, load average: 0.47, 0.34, 0.27 HTTP Server: Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu)
    PHP Version: 5.4.9-4ubuntu2.2 (Zend: 2.4.0) PHP Memory Limit: 128M PHP Safe Mode: Off
    PHP File Uploads: On Max Size: 5M POST Max Size: 8M
    Database Data Size: 371 kB Database Index Size: 538 kB

PHP Version 5.4.9-4ubuntu2.2

System Linux Andromeda 3.8.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 1 16:36:13 UTC 2013 i686
    Build Date Jul 15 2013 18:03:31
    Server API Apache 2.0 Handler
    Virtual Directory Support disabled
    Configuration File (php.ini) Path /etc/php5/apache2
    Loaded Configuration File /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini
    Scan this dir for additional .ini files /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d
    Additional .ini files parsed /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/10-pdo.ini, /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/20-curl.ini, /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/20-gd.ini, /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/20-mysql.ini, /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/20-mysqli.ini, /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/20-pdo_mysql.ini, /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/mcrypt.ini

All in all I like the new installer, less fuss and very clear and simple to run.

Still - what's the story with the .htaccess warning?

Thanks / Frank

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lhungil View Post
    Maybe just call "set_time_limit(30);" ...
    Now that I am more awake, something like this would need to go into the code performing the upgrade... Maybe between longer steps...

Quote Originally Posted by frank18 View Post
    Ran the installer on my local dev server and encountered no problems at all. Just a bit puzzled by the message (not verbatim): '....no .htaccess support, you are either not running Apache...... etc' ...
    This check is done by testing to see if your webserver is honoring the restrictions placed in the "/includes/.htaccess". It does this by calling CURL against your webserver to request the file "/includes/filenames.php". If the request does not return a 403 status (forbidden / access denied) the restrictions are probably not taking effect and this error message is displayed...

What happens if you go to that location using your browser? If you get the 403... Can you check what is returned around line 318 / 319 of "/zc_install/includes/classes/class.systemChecker.php"?

If you do not get the 403... Could be because of Apache is not reading .htaccess files (disabled)... Or could be one of the directives is failing (or overrides are not allowed)... Is there anything in the Apache error logs?
    Last edited by lhungil; 22 Aug 2013 at 02:42 PM.
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Now that I am more awake, something like this would need to go into the code performing the upgrade... Maybe between longer steps...
    Right. We've put it into application_top since all the smaller steps re-run that. And used a higher number too.

This check is done by testing to see if your webserver is honoring the restrictions placed in the "/includes/.htaccess". It does this by calling CURL against your webserver to request the file "/includes/filenames.php". If the request does not return a 403 status (forbidden / access denied) the restrictions are probably not taking effect and this error message is displayed...
    Correct. If the /includes/.htaccess file is working correctly, then it will deny access for any browser to any .php file under the /includes/ folder or subfolders. And that's what the installer is testing when that message is displayed to you.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Correct. If the /includes/.htaccess file is working correctly, then it will deny access for any browser to any .php file under the /includes/ folder or subfolders. And that's what the installer is testing when that message is displayed to you.
    Thought so, thanks

If you do not get the 403... Could be because of Apache is not reading .htaccess files (disabled)... Or could be one of the directives is failing (or overrides are not allowed)... Is there anything in the Apache error logs?
    Found nothing in the logs relating to this issue

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast