Plugin Contributions

Default How have customers paid with PayPal?

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to find out if a customer has used a credit card without a PayPal account to pay with PayPal Express, or , instead , have used a PayPal account ?
    I am asking because a lot of customers are unaware that they do not have to have a PayPal account to pay with PayPal Express and it would be useful to see how many are actually using a card.Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How have customers paid with PayPal Express?

Quote Originally Posted by cefyn View Post
    Can anyone tell me if there is a way to find out if a customer has used a credit card without a PayPal account to pay with PayPal Express, or , instead , have used a PayPal account ?
    I am asking because a lot of customers are unaware that they do not have to have a PayPal account to pay with PayPal Express and it would be useful to see how many are actually using a card.Thanks.
    I seriously doubt that there will be any way to find this information. PayPal are the only people that would know, and they are hardly likely to release this information because 1) It isn't of any one else's business or concern , and 2) It isn't of any one else's business or concern.

I do agree, it could be an interesting statistic to know, but the knowing doesn't change anything anyway.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by cefyn View Post
    In addition to RodG comments...

There are people who absolutely refuse to have anything to do with PP to make a payment, regardless of whether an account is required or not.

Personal experience from a few years ago... One of our vendors ventured into an online operation whose only payment method was via PP. Sales were not nearly that expected and cart abandonment was extremely high. This vendor spent over $100,000 to figure out the "Why". The "Why" was PayPal. The target customers for the particular product line refused to complete a purchase if taken offsite, regardless of the payment method. Once traditional merchant account payment method was added to the options, the cart abandonment issue took care of itself.

This was when 10% annual sales paid via PP and 90% annual sales paid via CreditCard. The current percentage has changed to about 50%/50%. Either way, the increased sales more than pay for the fees associated with processing credit cards.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Thank you both for your replies.If that information was retrievable in some way,it would ultimately only have been to help to answer the question , "Is it worth having a traditional payment method alongside PayPal Express ?"
    Thanks , RixStix , for your generous and informative reply.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RixStix View Post
    In addition to RodG comments...
    Personal experience from a few years ago...
    I can also testify to my own PayPal horror stories (funds earmarked for xmas presents were frozen once many years ago for over 3 months), but in all fairness, they have come a long way over the years.

For a long time I was one of those people warning others against using using PayPal, but market forces demanded that I relinquish my 'personal' negative opinions and use their services anyway.

Hearsay and anecdotal evidence aside, PayPal does far more good for an online store than harm. Just don't treat them as a bank.

Cheers
    Rod