Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrade to 1.5.1 question

Hi Guys,

Can you someone answer few questions please regarding upgrading from 1.3.9e to 1.5.1

1.) Is there anything I should worry about database?
    2.) Is templates compatible with 1.5.1?
    3.) Is there any changes that are major changes from 1.3.9 to 1.5.1 that I should worry about.

Thanks in advance for your help
    DigitalGuard

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrade to 1.5.1 question

Is there anything I should worry about database?
    No Just perform the db upgrade
    Is templates compatible with 1.5.1?

Is there any changes that are major changes from 1.3.9 to 1.5.1 that I should worry about
    Just checking that your template override files against the change log(s) update if needed
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

I suggest you look at http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading for a very good overview of upgrading.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalGuard View Post
    3.) Is there any changes that are major changes from 1.3.9 to 1.5.1 that I should worry about.
    Some of the changes that will affect your upgrade are:
    1. The removal of the htmlarea editor from your admin; you'll need to install one of your own (look in the Plugins area)
    2. The removal of the USPS and UPS shipping modules from the core; they're also in the Plugins area now.
    3. The restructuring of the admin area -- if you have admin-level add-ons, they'll require change (some minor) to continue to operate in a v1.5.0+ environment

I have the same questions. I had someone else do my original zencart install and have no idea how to begin. I don't even know where to download and install the update to. I might have to break down and pay someone to do this for me if I can afford it, but want to know if I continue to make changes as is, will they be affected when the update is done?
    I have been periodically customizing my shop and want to get finished. But, don't want to lose all of my work, nor want to waste more time until I have it updated. I read the above mentioned article, but I am still worried that I will lose any customizations. I am very inexperienced at all of this and appreciate as much help as I can get. My shop is http://www.holly carter art. com/ store.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by IncognitoDesigns View Post
    I have the same questions. I had someone else do my original zencart install and have no idea how to begin. I don't even know where to download and install the update to. I might have to break down and pay someone to do this for me if I can afford it, but want to know if I continue to make changes as is, will they be affected when the update is done?
    I have been periodically customizing my shop and want to get finished. But, don't want to lose all of my work, nor want to waste more time until I have it updated. I read the above mentioned article, but I am still worried that I will lose any customizations. I am very inexperienced at all of this and appreciate as much help as I can get. My shop is http://www.holly carter art. com/ store.
    Can I make a suggestion?
    Make a full backup, then install a clean copy of 1.5.1 in a subdomain or even on localhost. Import the copy of your saved database into this test site. Then install your choice template. You'll be surprised how easy it is to soon replicate your store with this clean install. Don't forget to copy over your image folder too.

Currently your store looks a bit jumbled shall we say when viewing on a mobile device...

Plugin Contributions

When you copy the images folder, it's a good time to take a quick look to make sure no one has left a rogue file in the images folder. With the suggestion to start new in another directory, I would only copy any .gif, .jpg, or .png files from the original images folder. You definitely do not want any .php or .bak files. There should only be one html file and it will be created by the new install. Lastly, the new install should create a correct .htacess file as well.

Thanks for your help. I know it is jumbled, I am still working on it and learning as I go. I bought the book to help me, but I am a metals artist, not a web designer so it is going slow.

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    When you copy the images folder, it's a good time to take a quick look to make sure no one has left a rogue file in the images folder. With the suggestion to start new in another directory, I would only copy any .gif, .jpg, or .png files from the original images folder. You definitely do not want any .php or .bak files. There should only be one html file and it will be created by the new install. Lastly, the new install should create a correct .htacess file as well.
    I appreciate your advice, I looked through the file and transferred some into the test version, but I am curious what would be considered a rogue file and how would someone else put it there?

I finally feel some sort of accomplishment that I figured out how to create a test version with help from various tutorials and advice in this thread.
    Unfortunately I think I may have done my test version in the wrong database? Should I have created a completely separate database from the one my original zencart is in?
    I did create a separate folder that contains the new upgrade though.

Once I have decided to go ahead and just update my original zencart, do I just delete the new test folder from my public_html file?
    Is there any harm in leaving it there in case I want to practice with it?

I think I would prefer to update the original cart at this point rather than changing over to the test upgrade as many tutorials suggest. My lack of experience and comfort level make me afraid that I will miss something that needed to be transferred over, not to mention all the links from my main website. From practicing with the test I feel confident that I will not lose much of the little things I have done so far.
    Thanks in advance for any further advice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast