Plugin Contributions

Default testing DB Restore?

Would like to periodically test my backups by restoring DB to a test site . Was told there was a MOD but Checked mods and didn;t see any tool.
    Other than hiring someone with a test server , any other options?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: testing DB Restore?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmc3 View Post
    Would like to periodically test my backups by restoring DB to a test site . Was told there was a MOD but Checked mods and didn;t see any tool.
    Other than hiring someone with a test server , any other options?
    Set up a test environment on your own computer. It's quite easy using one of the 'WAMP" distribution packages. You'll then be able to test your recovery procedures off-line in a safe environment.

Such a site is *perfect* for trialling mods, etc before deploying on your live server too.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: testing DB Restore?

Its here
    http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=7

and I never get tired of saying it should be core to encourage/instill exactly what Rod suggested as the recommended working method for developing your shop safely with no downtime.

I use this to backup nightly automatically and on demand ad-hoc for use in my local test site every time I am preparing an spreadsheet import.
    Or while repeatedly testing sql statements included with a mod, to fix/improve the bits I don't like before installing on the production site.

In short, leave the production site well alone, only play with the local site and upload all your hacklets/changes in one go with Beyond Compare or similar when you are sure all is well ...that's my opinion of course!!
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...