Plugin Contributions

Default Automatic Random Code Generation for a product?

I have a manufacturer that wants to sell items on my site. To attract business, he will give the customers who order through my site 10% off when they submit a code on his site. What does that have to do with me and ZenCart?

To track only customers through my site, he has requested that I issue each customer who is interested a one-time code that I will also send to him for tracking purposes.

Problem 1: We do not want customers to use a "blanket" code and then pass it out to non-customers.
    Problem 2: We do not want customer to ask for a code because they are interested, and then not use it, as my records would not match the manufacturer.

Here is the actual question...

Can I set up a randomly generated code as an item that can be purchased inexpensively? That way, only the folks who are truly interested will purchase the code. Then I can send a copy of the order to the manufacturer for his records.

Even better would be if the confirmation e-mail can be mailed to the manufacturer as well.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Automatic Random Code Generation

Have you considered an affiliate tracking program like JRox JAM?

Plugin Contributions

Never even heard of it until now. I will check it out, thanks!!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Two affiliate tools recommended - iDevAffiliate and JAM: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...ices-Providers

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

After checking these programs, it appears that they have to be installed on the end-seller side. I am the middleman, basically, so that type of software will not work for me unless I have each end-seller that I deal with install an affiliate program.

I will have to make a code, then send to the potential buyer AND the end-seller. If the codes match, then the buyer gets a discount from the end-seller. The issue becomes that if the buyer makes a purchase before the end-seller has set up the unique code on his site, it will not go through as a discount for the buyer.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You can do anything you like with your store. If you write custom code to do it, you can allow customers to purchase an item, have it generate a code which will show for them on checkout and on their confirmation email and in their My Account area. You could even add still more custom code to make those redemption-codes be clickable links or show up next to the best URL for them to go to to redeem the code on the other vendor's site. You could get even more fancy and augment your custom code to also send an email to the other vendor every time one of those redemption codes is generated.

But it will have to be custom programming, because it is highly specialized to your specific use-case. For inspiration you could look for forum discussions on generating calling-card PIN numbers or software license serial numbers, since they use a similar concept.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.