Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Always Problems with this custom inline Code!

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    I guess I needed to be very specific. You only changed the first opening <span to <h2; you need to change the </span> to </h2>, and do the same for the other span/heading.
    Code:
    <h2 id="customHeaderOne">Floral fragrances on sale this week at the Snob!</span>

<p id="customPara"> This week at DesignerPerfumeSnob.com we are featuring products with floral fragrance notes. You can find them on sale from here to here. 

<br /><br /> What would you like to see on sale next week? Send an <a href="index.php?main_page=contact_us"><font size="2"><font color="ED3A84">email</font></font></a> and let us know!

</p>

<span id="customHeaderTwo">FREE U.S. SHIPPING + No Minimum Purchase!</span>
    </div>
    Thank you for the specificity. I certainly do need it!

For the following code, I want to make a space between the last line and the filter below it. What would be the best way to accomplish that?

<h2 id="customHeaderTwo">FREE U.S. SHIPPING + No Minimum Purchase!</h2>

http://designerperfumesnob.authsafe....ts-c-1358.html

Plugin Contributions

Code:
    #customHeaderTwo {margin-bottom: 3em;}
    Adjust to taste.

Plugin Contributions

I originally had 55 errors on this page. This is what I have left that I can't figure out. It seems if I can fix a few, I can fix them all.

Error Line 1250, Column 5: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified <br>

You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".

Info Line 1250, Column 1: start tag was here <br>

Error Line 1256, Column 5: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    <br><font size="2"><strong>Standard Ground (USA)</strong> ~ Always Free Shippin…

You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".

Info Line 1256, Column 1: start tag was here
    <br><font size="2"><strong>Standard Ground (USA)</strong> ~ Always Free Shippin…

Error Line 1258, Column 5: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    <br><font size="2">Arrives in 2-7 <strong>business days</strong><br/></font>

Info Line 1258, Column 1: start tag was here
    <br><font size="2">Arrives in 2-7 <strong>business days</strong><br/></font>

Error Line 1263, Column 5: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    <br><br><font size="2"><strong>2nd Day Express (USA)</strong> ~ Starts at only …

Info Line 1263, Column 1: start tag was here
    <br><br><font size="2"><strong>2nd Day Express (USA)</strong> ~ Starts at only …

Error Line 1263, Column 9: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified <br><br><font size="2"><strong>2nd Day Express (USA)</strong> ~ Starts at only …

Info Line 1263, Column 5: start tag was here

Error Line 1267, Column 5: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    <br>Not available for P.O. Boxes<br/>

Info Line 1267, Column 1: start tag was here
    <br>Not available for P.O. Boxes<br/>

Error Line 1269, Column 5: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    <br>Shipping charges for 2nd Day Express will vary depending on the weight of i…

Info Line 1269, Column 1: start tag was here
    <br>Shipping charges for 2nd Day Express will vary depending on the weight of i…

Error Line 1271, Column 5: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    <br>Shipping cost is non-refundable for undelivered, unclaimed, returned and re…

Info Line 1271, Column 1: start tag was here
    <br>Shipping cost is non-refundable for undelivered, unclaimed, returned and re…

Error Line 1275, Column 5: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    <br><strong>International Customers</strong><br/>

Info Line 1275, Column 1: start tag was here
    <br><strong>International Customers</strong><br/>

Error Line 1282, Column 26: document type does not allow element "h2" here; missing one of "object", "applet", "map", "iframe", "button", "ins", "del" start-tag <h2 id="customHeaderFive">Return &amp; Exchange Policy</h2>

The mentioned element is not allowed to appear in the context in which you've placed it; the other mentioned elements are the only ones that are both allowed there and can contain the element mentioned. This might mean that you need a containing element, or possibly that you've forgotten to close a previous element.

One possible cause for this message is that you have attempted to put a block-level element (such as "<p>" or "<table>") inside an inline element (such as "<a>", "<span>", or "<font>").

Error Line 1288, Column 5: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    <br><br>Unopened products in their original sealed packaging can be returned up…

Info Line 1288, Column 1: start tag was here
    <br><br>Unopened products in their original sealed packaging can be returned up…

Error Line 1288, Column 9: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified

Info Line 1288, Column 5: start tag was here

Error Line 1292, Column 5: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    <br>You can expect a refund within one billing cycle of our receiving your retu…

Info Line 1292, Column 1: start tag was here
    <br>You can expect a refund within one billing cycle of our receiving your retu…

Error Line 1294, Column 5: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    <br>Opened packages cannot be returned. <br/>

Info Line 1294, Column 1: start tag was here
    <br>Opened packages cannot be returned. <br/>

Error Line 1296, Column 5: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    <br>Please make your selections carefully as <strong>we do not offer exchanges.…

Info Line 1296, Column 1: start tag was here
    <br>Please make your selections carefully as <strong>we do not offer exchanges.…

Error Line 1300, Column 5: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    <br><br><strong>Returns should be sent to:</strong><br/><br/>

Info Line 1300, Column 1: start tag was here

Error Line 1300, Column 9: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified

Info Line 1300, Column 5: start tag was here

Error Line 1303, Column 5: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    <br>Returns<br/>

Info Line 1303, Column 1: start tag was here
    <br>Returns<br/>

Error Line 1305, Column 5: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    <br>Order # (please enter your order number)<br/>

Info Line 1305, Column 1: start tag was here
    <br>Order # (please enter your order number)<br/>

Error Line 1307, Column 5: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    <br>5 Plant Ave<br/>

Info Line 1307, Column 1: start tag was here
    <br>5 Plant Ave<br/>

Error Line 1309, Column 5: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    <br>Hauppauge, NY 11788<br/>

Info Line 1309, Column 1: start tag was here
    <br>Hauppauge, NY 11788<br/>

Error Line 1311, Column 5: end tag for "br" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    <br><strong>Please include your original packing slip.</strong><br/></font>

Info Line 1311, Column 1: start tag was here

I do know that I need to have a way I can use the same heading for paragraphs several times on a page. I believe that is called a class, but I don't know how to set it up.

http://designerperfumesnob.authsafe....ppinginfo.html
    Last edited by traytray; 15 Jun 2013 at 06:09 PM.

Plugin Contributions

what is it you are trying to do with this code and others like it?
    There is no such thing as <br>.........</br>
    The <br> tag (normally done as <br /> OR <br class="clearBoth" /> in XHTML) is a line break and cannot have any effect on a string of text as you are trying to use it. http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_br.asp

Quick rule on class or ID. There may be many in your "Class" but no one has your "ID." .class or #id in a stylesheet.
    Last edited by dbltoe; 15 Jun 2013 at 09:33 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    what is it you are trying to do with this code and others like it?
    There is no such thing as <br>.........</br>
    The <br> tag (normally done as <br /> OR <br class="clearBoth" /> in XHTML) is a line break and cannot have any effect on a string of text as you are trying to use it. http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_br.asp

Quick rule on class or ID. There may be many in your "Class" but no one has your "ID." .class or #id in a stylesheet.
    Thank you for replying. What I was attempting to do was create a space between one sentence and the sentence below it. I thought using <br>at the start of sentence and <br/> at the end, would create a single space where using <p> would create too large of a space. I guess I just don't know how to create spaces between sentences.

On this page: http://designerperfumesnob.authsafe....ppinginfo.html

I have two headings: Shipping Information and Return & Exchange Policy. There might be other pages where I'll want several headings. I find I have to create too many custom headers when I could probably just create one class that would give me the same result that I could use over and over. For example I want a class that would produce the effect that customHeaderTwo currently produces, and another class that mimics customHeaderOne. How would I do that in CSS and what would the inline HTML be?

I hope this has answered your question regarding my goal here.

Plugin Contributions

As dbltoe said, remove the <br> at the front of your text. The <br /> at the end will provide a line break. Use two for a line space.

You've given the headings their own ids, which allows you to style them in the stylesheet. Now just follow through and do the same for the text, using the <div> tag: <div id="customshippingtext">Your text here.</div>. Remove all the inline styling and add #customshippingtext to the stylesheet and style as desired. You can use the same id (or class) on other pages, assuming you want those elements to be styled the same.

The only time I use inline styling is if I want to display, say, one word in bold font.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    As dbltoe said, remove the <br> at the front of your text. The <br /> at the end will provide a line break. Use two for a line space.

You've given the headings their own ids, which allows you to style them in the stylesheet. Now just follow through and do the same for the text, using the <div> tag: <div id="customshippingtext">Your text here.</div>. Remove all the inline styling and add #customshippingtext to the stylesheet and style as desired. You can use the same id (or class) on other pages, assuming you want those elements to be styled the same.

The only time I use inline styling is if I want to display, say, one word in bold font.
    Yay! I've finally learned about no <br> in front of a sentence! Thank you all!!

Right now, the actual web page is looking exactly how I want it. To achieve that, inline I am using <font size="2"> at the start of every sentence. I tried a few things in CSS and inline, but I can't figure out what I would actually code to be able to eliminate all of those and just have the whole text show up in the font size I want. Then, for special words or sentences, maybe I can specify inline what I want.

If I want to use multiple headings on a page, it appears as if I need to set up a class rather than an ID. Again, I have played around with that, and fallen on my face. The headings I use would be the size and color I have on this page, but if I wanted to change the color or font, once I saw how one was done, I could create additional classes.

Also, at the top of the page, I want to begin with perhaps one line space more than I currently have before my first header starts, but I get an error if I just start with <p>.

Thank you, and I'm hoping that others reading this thread might be benefitting as well.

Last edited by traytray; 16 Jun 2013 at 07:26 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by traytray View Post
    Yay! I've finally learned about no <br> in front of a sentence! Thank you all!!

Right now, the actual web page is looking exactly how I want it. To achieve that, inline I am using <font size="2"> at the start of every sentence. I tried a few things in CSS and inline, but I can't figure out what I would actually code to be able to eliminate all of those and just have the whole text show up in the font size I want. Then, for special words or sentences, maybe I can specify inline what I want.

If I want to use multiple headings on a page, it appears as if I need to set up a class rather than an ID. Again, I have played around with that, and fallen on my face. The headings I use would be the size and color I have on this page, but if I wanted to change the color or font, once I saw how one was done, I could create additional classes.

Also, at the top of the page, I want to begin with perhaps one line space more than I currently have before my first header starts, but I get an error if I just start with <p>.

Thank you, and I'm hoping that others reading this thread might be benefitting as well.

Since I posted the above, I added <div class="myCustomParagraph"> to the top of the inline styling and I started my text with
    <p id="customPara">

and got rid of all the <font> tags, but I am getting errors.

I am still in need of the following:

Thank you!
    Last edited by traytray; 17 Jun 2013 at 03:11 AM.

Plugin Contributions

These are the errors I am getting now:

1. Line 1276, Column 26: document type does not allow element "h2" here; missing one of "object", "applet", "map", "iframe", "button", "ins", "del" start-tag
    <h2 id="customHeaderFive">Return &amp; Exchange Policy</h2><br />

The mentioned element is not allowed to appear in the context in which you've placed it; the other mentioned elements are the only ones that are both allowed there and can contain the element mentioned. This might mean that you need a containing element, or possibly that you've forgotten to close a previous element.

One possible cause for this message is that you have attempted to put a block-level element (such as "<p>" or "<table>") inside an inline element (such as "<a>", "<span>", or "<font>").

1. Line 1279, Column 25: document type does not allow element "p" here; missing one of "object", "applet", "map", "iframe", "button", "ins", "del" start-tag
    <p id="customParaThree"><strong>Refunds</strong><br /><br />

2. Line 1306, Column 6: end tag for "p" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified </div>

3. Line 1279, Column 2: start tag was here
    <p id="customParaThree"><strong>Refunds</strong><br /><br />

4. Line 1306, Column 6: end tag for "p" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified </div>

5. Line 1255, Column 2: start tag was here
    <p id="customParaTwo"><strong>Standard Ground (USA)</strong> ~ Always Free Shi…

Plugin Contributions

You have
    <p id="customParab">
    in two places, which is an example of when to use a class instead of an id.
    <p class="customParab">

To eliminate one validation error source, change all of your <br> to <br />.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast