Plugin Contributions

Default Redirects for "page not found"

I did a search in the forums for "redirects" and "page not found" but couldn't find an answer (at least one I understood)

A lot of us noobies are constantly changing pages as we are getting the feel of Zen Cart. Some of the older pages have already been ranked with google, which is great but the viewer is directed to my website page with a message saying "that page was not found". I'm curious to know if there is anyway you can direct outdated pages to your home page. So if the url is mywebsite.com//index.php?main_page=index&cPath=22 and that page is no longer a valid page in my website, I'd like to redirect it back to the home page.

I know eventually the problem will be solved when Google re-index's my site but I was curious if this can be done (without a programming degree from M.I.T)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Redirects for "page not found"

See your admin's Configuration->My Store->Missing Page Check. Set the value to 'On' (redirect to home page).

Plugin Contributions

Also, Google "zen cart custom 404 page"

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ocmusic View Post
    constantly changing pages
    Not sure exactly what you mean by "changing pages". By "pages", are you actually talking about categories? That's somewhat implied in the rest of your post, but it's a bit unclear, for reasons I will explain:

Some of the older pages have already been ranked with google, which is great but the viewer is directed to my website page with a message saying "that page was not found".
    The proper 'page not found' message only occurs when someone clicks a link to a page that actually doesn't exist. Such as index.php?main_page=fred or no_page_here.php

It does *not* appear when someone clicks a link to a removed category. If you've removed a category, the visitor sees a simple "No products in this category" message, and the search engine is also told in the background to remove this page from their index so they don't keep providing it in search results.

I'm curious to know if there is anyway you can direct outdated pages to your home page. So if the url is mywebsite.com//index.php?main_page=index&cPath=22 and that page is no longer a valid page in my website, I'd like to redirect it back to the home page.
    But, if you really want to blindly push your visitors to the home page instead of telling them that the link they clicked (or more importantly that maybe they had bookmarked) is invalid, you could make the following coding change to /includes/modules/pages/index/header_php.php around line 55:
    Code:
    if ($category_depth == 'products' && $listing->RecordCount() == 0) /* $robotsNoIndex = true; */ zen_redirect(zen_href_linkFILENAME_DEFAULT));

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.