Plugin Contributions

Default Now writing a Thai language pack.

Hello,

Many friends won't use zencart because there's no Thai pack available for the latest version. So, out of sheer generosity, I will write a Thai language pack but have a concern regarding encoding.

For example, I open the english.php file that is located in the includes/language folder with Notepad++. I go to Encoding and 'Convert to utf-8 without BOM,' enter my text in Thai, save and close the file. (If I don't Convert to utf-8 without BOM first, the text I enter in Thai will show as question marks.)

When I open it again the text I've just added now shows ลิขสิทธิ์. However, if I go to Encoding and select the 'Encode in utf-8 without boom,' the Thai text shows correctly again.

My concern is that I checked the schinese.php file, from the Chinese pack, and all Chinese characters show correctly when I open the file, no need to select 'Encode in utf-8 without boom.' So I am not sure whether 'Converting to utf-8 without BOM,' entering my text in Thai, saving and closing the file is the only thing I need to do.

Please advise if there's an

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Now writing a Thai language pack.

Apparently a lot of Thai websites use:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=TIS-620">

Then there is thai-language.com which is apparently a resource for learning Thai - suggests using Unicode for Thai

Worth a try.......

Plugin Contributions

It may also just be the capabilities of your editor Notepad++ . If you are using a Linux box such as Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora etc. then try installing Geany or Bluefish Editor and see if that gives you the desired results.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by frank18 View Post
    Apparently a lot of Thai websites use:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=TIS-620">
    I also have seen this but wouldn't that create any problem with the database, especially for those sites that also use other languages with a charset in utf-8?

It may also just be the capabilities of your editor Notepad++ . If you are using a Linux box such as Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora etc. then try installing Geany or Bluefish Editor and see if that gives you the desired results.
    No, I am not using any linux box.

Thanks for your answers. I have checked with neteasy (whom wrote the latest Chinese pack) to see how she/he did it and what editor did she/he used....

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Thannaree View Post
    I also have seen this but wouldn't that create any problem with the database, especially for those sites that also use other languages with a charset in utf-8?....
    Yeah, it probably would, didn't think about that. Which leaves me suspecting the editor may not be capable of handling Thai characters.