Plugin Contributions

Default ? marks instead of Registered Trademarks

In certain areas like the IE or Firefox tab at the top, for example, the Registered Trademark shows a question mark in a black triangle instead of the trademark. The product names, descriptions show up fine but in certain areas, it shows up as a question mark. I'd like to skip it but the marks are required by law as the marks are policed.

It can't be the utf8 setting because it shows up fine everywhere else...again, only in certain areas like the window tab, etc. However, it sticks out like a sore thumb on the windows tab....customer sees the site name and a question mark in a triangle.

Why?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: ? marks instead of Registered Trademarks

Quote Originally Posted by muah View Post
    It can't be the utf8 setting because it shows up fine everywhere else...
    This is an invalid conclusion, as it is possible to change character sets on a page by page basis (not something anyone will recommend doing, but nonetheless, still possible)

again, only in certain areas like the window tab, etc. However, it sticks out like a sore thumb on the windows tab....customer sees the site name and a question mark in a triangle.

Why?
    My money says it is still a character encoding issue, but that is about all I can say. This is a case where a link to your site so that we can see (and investigate) things for ourselves will be essential.

Also, in my experience, most problems of this nature are the result of an upgrade to ZenCart V1.5.x. Is/was this the case with you, or is this a new installation? Your answer to this will make a *huge* difference as to the best approach to solve the issue.

Any other clues or hints as to what led up to this situation would also be a great help... in fact, when you reply to this message with a link to your site, please scroll up and read the 'Posting tips' section for other information that we see as relevant to solving a problem.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

I figured it out and for the sake of others, will explain what fixed it.

I opened the meta tags php file in notebook and saved it as a text file, not a php file, in the UTF-8 format. I then reopened the file and saved it as the PHP it was supposed to be. It works. Now, I've got the trademarks showing up properly in the IE, Firefox, Safari tabs..the way it did before.

It's the same file as the old site...not sure what happened but it's fixed now.

Plugin Contributions

Moderator, it may be best to delete my contribution...as it did fix the registered trademark problem but made my admin section go bye-bye. Saving the file in UTF8 then back to PHP works for about ten minutes... can get in admin...but can't get out and can't get back in! Sorry...it was working. By reverting back to the original php, it works again so I'm sure this is not a fix. I'll keep tinkering.

Plugin Contributions

Link to the site / page where this occurs?
    What editor are you using?
    Try using notepad++ and save as utf-8 without BOM

Plugin Contributions

I would buy you a coffee if you lived near by! Thank You. Do you work for Zen Cart?

It works! I have three sites. All the old sites, no problem with R in browser tab. The two upgraded... no problem with R in browser tab. Only this one. Your suggestion has fixed the problem. Hopefully the 'without BOM' doesn't mess anything else up. I'm doing a cursory search on what 'without BOM' offers. It's coming up as more "portable." Eh.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Yes, language files should be saved as UTF8-without-BOM

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

I figured it out and for the sake of others, will explain what fixed it.

I opened the meta tags php file in notebook and saved it as a text file, not a php file, in the UTF-8 format. I then reopened the file and saved it as the PHP it was supposed to be. It works.
    Just as a small point of clarification, a PHP file *IS* a text file. There is no difference between them other than the file name extension.

It is the UTF-8, etc, etc that determine the type of character encoding being used, and this is the *actual* cause of your problems
    It has nothing to do with "saving it as a php file" (however in order to function correctly, these text files must have the .php filename extension).

Taking this to the extreme, there are actually only two types of files of any real significance.. namely, Text files and Binary files. Text files consist of, well, TEXT. It is something that you can read and generally make sense of. all other files are 'binary' (these include jpgs, gifs, etc), basically anything that you can't open/edit with a text editor.
    php files are something you can read and edit with a text editor, therefore they are text files.

Hopefully this clarifies rather than confuses.

Cheers
    Rod