Plugin Contributions

help question New to Zen Looking for somebody who can help set up

Hello

I am totally new to the whole Zen cart.
    And i tried to read up but i am so confused
    And discouraged i must say

i always build my own sites. I have a site But i am looking for another lay out and "look"

So wanted to take the step to zen cart. But whatever i did the last weeks to get it in my head and up the server by the host. I just cant do it.

I decided to look into somebody who can do it for me. But even that isnt easy. Contacted 3 sites and they didnt even answer back. ( yes companies)

So just stuck.

The last attempted is here i suppose. Or looking for another cart or possibility to build and have the site i want.

At this moment i have my own domain and my site at Weebly. And also Weebly support didnt answer my question if i could integrate zen cart in my site. They give the only direction to use the html code.
    Thats why i started to look for a new site.
    I have a host too by a friend who has a hasting company.

Just the whole installation and set up is confusing me.

Any help suggestions or somebody who wants to do it step by step with me?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New to Zen Looking for somebody who can help set up

I'm afraid there's no substitute for taking the time to figure out Zencart. There are Zenners here who own businesses which install and manage Zencart sites, but I'd guess you can't afford them.

You can't (and don't want to, anyway) install Zencart on Weebly. I recommend forgetting all about 'free' hosting and subscribe to a real hosting company's least expensive offering (in my case, $4 a month). Then install Zencart (manually, not using the host's auto-installer - instructions are in the /doc folder in the Zencart zip file and in the FAQ section of the forum) with the sample products and spend some time looking through the admin area to see how things work.

You won't figure out everything right away (I've been in the forum for eight years, and 18K posts later and I still occasionally discover something about Zencart I didn't know), but becoming familiar with the basics is a necessary first step.

Plugin Contributions

One of the hardest things to do for anyone who is other than a total noob is to avoid the tendency to say, "I can do that" without reading the complete step(s).

Like stevesh, I jumped into this e-commerce world knowing quite a bit about coding, www, html, internet, etc. I think I was around before Al Gore invented it.

What took me weeks originally can now be done in hours. It took literally hundreds of mistakes to convince me that I needed to not "Stop and Smell the Roses" but "Stop and Read the Pages." I can't think of any rookie mistakes I didn't make BECAUSE I thought I was anything but a rookie.

Today, when someone asks me if I know such-n-such and I respond with "I don't know," I get a "WHAT!?!" I remind them that, when it comes to computers, you can have a PHD in keyboard and know nothing about mouse.

Download and unzip the latest version. Spend a few days really reading the installation steps in the docs folder. Don't vary from what steps are there and don't try any shortcuts when you do the installation.

When you hit a glitch, you can search the forum or use Google with a +Zen on the end of the search. If you don't find an existing answer, open a thread in the forum AND answer the posting tips. Describe the problem and someone will be there to help. This forum is well-known for the level of help provided from a bunch of volunteers. Slow and Steady wins the race in this case.

Plugin Contributions

"All business skills are learnable. Everyone who is an expert now started out knowing nothing about the topic." -- Brian Tracy.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

hello back again :)

In the meantime zen cart is installed and i am playing around with it.

My problem is that i dont look for cheap hosting or any direct solutions. I learn fast. But i needed and still need some handles.

I managed to give it his own look. got the sideboxes were i want and was learning about digital downloads

now the crazy part is from what i see in some tutorials is that i have to submit every item in the admin side of the site and make new records for them etc.
    This for thousands of files.

However when i have sites were i am a vendor i can submit a new item to my store without doing that Just list a new item and fill in the form price and upload the file. That is the easiest way to go
    I cant find this option. Is that a special module/plug in that i have to download.

And this is a forum so i try to get my info here.
    I have a host very good support and friendly and very affordable ( F5/MVH) and that is were my domain moved to.

i just thought that i could ask her and see what would come out of it.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Barnowlgirl Sinatra View Post
    hello back again :)

In the meantime zen cart is installed and i am playing around with it.

My problem is that i dont look for cheap hosting or any direct solutions. I learn fast. But i needed and still need some handles.

I managed to give it his own look. got the sideboxes were i want and was learning about digital downloads
    As said before, the learning is in the doing - and it seems you are doing well

Quote Originally Posted by Barnowlgirl Sinatra View Post
    now the crazy part is from what i see in some tutorials is that i have to submit every item in the admin side of the site and make new records for them etc.
    This for thousands of files.

However when i have sites were i am a vendor i can submit a new item to my store without doing that Just list a new item and fill in the form price and upload the file. That is the easiest way to go
    I cant find this option. Is that a special module/plug in that i have to download.
    Not quite sure what you mean with this. You are saying "This for thousands of files" - are you referring to products you are selling? If so then look at a plugin called "Easy Populate" in the plugins area of this site. It allows you to upload a bunch of products with one or two clicks.

Cheers / Frank

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    I think I was around before Al Gore invented it.
    Me too... in fact I'm reminded of the new Algore Rhythm whenever I look at code :)

Cheers
    Rod

(I can hear the groans from here)