Plugin Contributions

Default images ALT TEXT - 1. how to change 2. Same text for additional images 3. SEO effect

Hi - I am aiming to maximize SEO in respect to images. Doing a SEOMOZ diagnosis of my site it indicated most images did not have alt_text and it needed to be addressed. I have checked FAQ's and some forum posts where I found some info but it didn't quite address my queries

My query is in 3 parts.
    1. how can alt_text be changed (if deemed necessary for SEO advantages)
    2. given that alt_text is the same for additional images as it is for the primary image how if at all does this effect search engines indexing / duplicate content issues?
    3. what is the SEO value of alt_text? would that value be increased if alt_text was different for each additional image?

Additionally SeoMoz comment suggested that alt_text assisted search engines to index images. Currently I have issues with some of my sites having no images indexed at all whilst some have many (about 1 per product on the site - additional images average is about 6 per product) and others are in between - it is understood that search engines will do what they do ... however.... Problem with this is two 'like' (read mirror image copies with different TLD's) with same images but name image name changed and both sites ranking equally (one Google.au, other Google.com as per TLD's) has one site with 200+ images indexed and the other zero.

Does anyone have some insight into this last aspect and what if any relationship is there to 2. & 3. above? I thought it may be a SiteMapXML plugin issue but Andrew Berezin hasn't responded to my query about this.

cheers, Mike
    Last edited by shags38; 3 Sep 2013 at 09:21 AM.

Default Re: images ALT TEXT - 1. how to change 2. Same text for additional images 3. SEO effe

Hi,

By default, alt_text works for product images.
    Traffic from indexed images does not convert.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: images ALT TEXT - 1. how to change 2. Same text for additional images 3. SEO effe

Quote Originally Posted by responsivezc View Post
    Hi,

By default, alt_text works for product images.
    Traffic from indexed images does not convert.
    thanks for the response however it does little to answer my queries.
    cheers, Mike