Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New server PLUS SSL Question

Is there a way to SKIP THE BANNER HISTORY portion of the DB, and UPLOAD EVERYTHING AFTER THAT??

Thank you,
    Cheryl
    Cheryl

Plugin Contributions

Asking again,

Can I simply REMOVE stuff between here:

"LOCK TABLES `banners_history` WRITE;
    /*!40000 ALTER TABLE `banners_history` DISABLE KEYS */;
    INSERT INTO `banners_history` VALUES

[I deleted all records]"

and here:

"/*!40000 ALTER TABLE `banners_history` ENABLE KEYS */;
    UNLOCK TABLES;"

ANYONE???? If I remove those records correctly, my DB just MIGHT upload and I can move on ....

Thank you
    Cheryl

Plugin Contributions

MySQL server has gone away"
    Using GD as your host is most likely at issue

Are you selecting to compress your database backup?
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

I have done the backup both with compression and without. I decompressed before uploading.

I know you folks do not like GD but I have no complaints after nearly 7 years with the place. Only down once and their customer service and technical support have always been right there for me, albeit with my limited knowledge and only one or two issues/questions.

With all due respect but to be blunt, claiming GD is the problem does not help solve this. Such a claim seems to infer that to get my 1.5.1 site up I must change host companies and my problem will be solved, and the upgrade successful. Really? No evidence has been presented to support that another hosting company will solve this.

All I want is to upgrade my site. But thus far, the closest thing to resemble a potential "solution" is the preceding, which seems more a whack at GD than a solution. I will attempt to upload the DB in a compressed state, if there is an option to do that.

I'm also wondering if I can "comment out" the whole Banner history section, and the INSERT commands. I do not care about the banner history and that is like 1/3 of the records in the DB. After much reading on MySQL errors, edits, exports, imports, etc., my conclusion is to either attempt the "comment out" thing and/or upload each individual table *after* the Banner History table, a time-consuming and labor intensive solution, albeit if I can find several hours to set aside to do it.

Sigh .......
    Last edited by rush_woman; 24 Sep 2013 at 08:40 PM.
    Cheryl

Plugin Contributions

Contact them and have them import your database backup
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    Contact them and have them import your database backup
    Wow. Really? That flip answer is the only offered solution? No answers to my questions or anything?

Isn't Zen Cart supposed to be user friendly to the point nearly anyone can create their own store, and the forums offered help to fill in the gaps, or has that changed since I was here a few years ago?

Tag lines of some of the folks I remember helping out here (and who have helped me in the past) seem to maintain the original premise that has invited so many to bring their dreams into website reality:

""If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ... "

"Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!"

I had heard a rumor the forum offered little to no help anymore from folks "in the know" but I did not want to believe it. Seems the rumors have some truth to them.

Enticing folks to fulfill their dreams with business ownership then hanging them out to dry when they encounter difficulties is a poor business model. If the devs want ZC to be a pay-for package or pay-for support, then the devs should set it up that way, rather than hide behind the GPL veil and "for free" support forums that instead effectively offer little to no support but push users into high-priced services to get their sites operational after retaining hosting services, etc.

I will make my future decisions, and recommendations to others, accordingly. Unfortunate.
    Cheryl

Plugin Contributions

Cheryl,

Superman can not remove the kryptonite from your trunk anymore than we can force gonedaddy to set there servers to match the norm of the server world. Gonedaddy is the four-cylinder equivalent of data-base driven websites. E-commerce deserves at least eight cylinders. Most, like us, who host exclusively ZC, try to provide the "Hemi" experience.

It's not unlike the code throughout Zen Cart to make it work correctly with Internet Explorer. It would be nice to be able to remove the code but so many out there continue to use a terrible product (Internet Explorer).

Probably less than one-half of one percent of the e-commerce sites (or database driven ANYTHING) survive a stint on gonedaddy. They are getting better BUT, you are probably on a shared server that they will not change for one customer. Yet, when mentioned that this could be the problem, you are dismissive of the idea.
    Only down once and their customer service and technical support have always been right there for me, albeit with my limited knowledge and only one or two issues/questions.
    You've been quite fortunate as a search of this forum will attest.

Therefore, from our experience here at the forum, you left little options for us other than, "If they are so good, have them update your database." It's not an "In your face statement." Without total access to all of your site, the problem won't be solved. And....who has total access? gonedaddy.

There is a file in the 1.5.1 download in the docs folder. /docs/1.readme_installation.html lists the minimum and RECOMMENDED server capabilities for 1.5.1. Only gonedaddy can tell you if these are even available on your server. IF they are, then ask them if they can import a backup database into a current database. This is all the knowledge you should need to get a reputable host to respond.

My guess is they will try to upsell you to a dedicated server. I sincerely hope I am wrong. I'm sure you will let us know if I am.

BTW - I use the term gonedaddy to avoid even the possibility that SEs will find references to them in the forum and someone get the idea any of us think it's the place to be. I LOVE there SSL certs but use them on our own servers.

Please do let us know how it works out for you.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for the info.

I believe I did not rule out GD being the problem nor was I dismissive of the possibility but requested evidence to support a generic claim the host was the problem. I prefer additional information before accepting such a claim on its face, particularly since I know folks here dislike GD, a fact I recalled from when I installed ZC in Jan, 2007. Your post has shed additional light on why GD could be the issue. It was all I was requesting, an explanation.

I did also ask several other questions, like removing or commenting out the banner history from the DB, records I do not need. No response, and really, I don't need to clutter up the DB with those records regardless of the server or version.

I did read the 1.5.1 install notes and this is why I upgraded my site to a new server, etc which meets the requirements. My old site is still at the server that does not suit 1.5.1 but that contract is due to expire shortly.

GD has not yet attempted to upsell me anything, ever. Support did, instead, offer to upgrade my current site so that I could run the new ZC, with the caveat some scripts might not work while I was transitioning to 1.5.1 due to the different versions of php, etc. I did not want to have my site down because this Saturday, I have my biggest show of the year and I give out dozens (perhaps hundreds) of business cards and make more sales here than any other place the rest of the year. My site traffic also dramatically increases for a brief period right after this show. I began this upgrade process around September 8.

I have considered a service with a higher cost but the fact is, my hobby is not busy enough to support higher outlay of costs just to hold a seat on the Web. On the other hand, folks ask for website info and want business cards with site info at the fairs and shows I sell at. Thus, I do need my hobby on the web. Additionally, I have gained some repeat customers from regions outside my location who do order through the site. I teeter between the two, no site and a better site. But again, my traffic, etc. does not support the additional costs at the moment. I am always hoping that will change to heavier traffic, and more sales, and the need to upgrade to a "big girl" hosting service, if you will, or in your terms, hemi experience.

I will attempt to upgrade the DB in a compressed state. If that fails, I will call GD to see about importing on their side. I would really rather do it myself, if I can, but I am getting down to the wire here so I am running out of options to ensure a functioning website after this weekend's show.

Again, thank you. With any luck, my next post will be an "all is well" one. :)
    Last edited by rush_woman; 25 Sep 2013 at 11:04 PM.
    Cheryl

Plugin Contributions

On the chance someone is online and can help here:

My DB is NOW UPLOADED -- yeah!!!! I exported it without the Banner History, compressed it with Bzip compression. It upload in like 5 seconds.

Now I am attempting to upgrade the DB. I ftp-ed the install folder back as I had already deleted it for security. I also already changed the Admin to something else.

Now, when I go to upgrade the DB, it keeps kicking the screen back saying there is no Admin password entered, when I have entered it. do I need to rename the folder BACk to Admin???

???

Thanks,
    Last edited by rush_woman; 26 Sep 2013 at 02:35 AM.
    Cheryl

Plugin Contributions

I found the thread on this [http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...dmin+password] so never mind.

It helps to type in a good set of search terms. :) 1 db upgrade down, 3 to go ....
    Cheryl

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast