Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default changing "categories" sidebox colors

My "categories" side box has a garish red strip at the top and the bottom. Let's start with changing that color. In the span of CSS stylesheet code between lines 540 and 599 (roughly, since I've added some comments) there's found every class and value that one would expect influences that red strip. In every instance of "color: ..." and background-color: ..." I've tried both changing the color to another color and changing the color to "none". The garish red strip remains unaffected. Therefore, I've drilled down in the code affecting the side boxes from tpl_main_page.php to tpl_header.php to header.php and deeper to column_left.php and tpl_box_default_left.php and probably deeper into other secondary files searching for inline css or improbably named classes occurring in my stylesheet. Nothing, zip, nada. Nothing that affects that garish red strip. Also I've searched peripherally in "module" files for .gif or .jpg background files colored red. Again nothing. I would be hard pressed to recall spending so much time attempting to fathom such a miniscule quality of an application. I might also add that I've searched through the relevant FAQ and about the last five years of forum discussions related to this issue. Again, nothing useful.

So there's the issue. The solution should be able to be presented by some knowledgeable person in one line of code, with maybe a qualifying remark.

Anyone?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: changing "categories" sidebox colors

post a link to your site for good answers
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

In attempting to provide an image of the home page with the left column box color at issue, I've discovered what I'm confident is the root of the problem. I attempted to perform a screen print with arrows pointing to the offending color. However, my home page has a corporation background image that I'm not ready to share yet. The image's source is the CSS body selector with the declaration property background-image: url(filename). I replaced this property with background-color: gray. Saved the change. Opened the site in Firefox, and found no change. The background image remained. So I searched for this CSS selector and property in every other Template file. I don't think I found another copy, but if I did I surely changed it accordingly. Then I did a search for "url" in Administration, developer tool kit, and found no further reference to my image jpg file. Then in the CSS folder that had the background image selector I changed the name of the jpg file referenced by the url. Again opened the site, and there was no change. Same image; no gray background. So I did the usual rigamarol of deleting browsing histories in three different browsers, and they all displayed the voided image. One clue for a Zen Cart pro, in IE, the gray background flashed present for about a tenth of a second before it was replaced by the image.

So I'm clearly encountering the same bug when I attempt to change the sidebox color. I have correctly changed it in the appropriate CSS selector, but analogous to the manner my background image won't change, my adjusted left sidebox color won't change on the home page.

This strikes me as a colossal deficiency in the software. The implication is that the entire site has to be reinstalled for any number of minor adjustments.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong or tell me how to accomplish my goal.

I'm using version 1.5.0.

Plugin Contributions

There are no 'colossal deficiencies' in the software. You're doing something wrong, but it's almost impossible to know exactly what without being able to see the site. Try just deleting the background-image staement in the body rule rather than trying to repace it with a color. If the background image is the only thing stopping you from sharing a link to the site, find the image file itself and delete it from the server temporarily.

Plugin Contributions

One possibility that comes to mind is that your stylesheet edits aren't 'taking' because the file isn't writable on the server.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks greatly for your prompt reply. Deleting background-color (after having previously used that to replace background-image) had no effect on the problem. However, entirely deleting the image file rather than renaming it resulted in a white background; i.e., no background. That must certainly be a server issue, so perhaps the primary issue of this discussion is also a server issue. I'll return to this problem tomorrow, 9-30.

Plugin Contributions

See my post #2 to this
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

We can most likely solve your issue if we can see your site live. We can't help if we can't see it. If you can't remove the image, you can pm the link to some of us so we can look privately. Just let us all know what you are doing.

Plugin Contributions

Ok Thanks so much! I really would like to get this to work ...it seems like it would allow for some of what I'm doing to be easier. Thanks again. Will post on the other thread and maybe there's a easy fix :)

oops this got posted to wrong thread somehow...probably cause I'm doing it from my stupid smart phone

Plugin Contributions

Following explains the source of problem.

commenting out line 85 in tpl-main-page.php [...includes/templates/templates-default/common

<!-- <td id="navColumnOne" class="columnLeft" style="width: <?php echo COLUMN_WIDTH_LEFT; ?>"> -->

but retaining unchanged the CSS selector #navColumnOne {
    background-color: #FF0000;
    }

removes the red border of the left sidebox, but removes the float layout for everything else

Tomorrow I'll try to work around the issue with a <span> inside the above code line 85.

Whether this issue arises from a server glitch or a programming error I'm not sufficiently acquainted with php to determine. Whatever, I'll be happy to move on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast