Default Losing customer info when moving database from test site to live site

I've followed the tutorial for backing up (from test site) and restoring (to the live site) the database. However when I do this if there are any newly registered customers on the live site, it simply overwrites them. I've googled and poked around here on the forums, and can't find anything easily as to why it's doing this.

The site has not been upgraded.
    As far as I can tell, everything else is fine.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Losing customer info when moving database from test site to live site

Why are you doing this???

Normally, the live site Db is applied to your test site during an upgrade once until you get things squared then one more time when you are ready to use the upgraded files - you place the live site down for maintenance & backup the DB apply it to your test site's DB and upgrade the DB only - then move & edit the files and you are done
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Losing customer info when moving database from test site to live site

if there are any newly registered customers on the live site, it simply overwrites them
    Yes, that is what will happen. In this process you are not merging but overwriting the live database.
    If you are needing to modify your site database heavily maybe you could build the changes in sql and apply them to it quickly when its down for maintenance (after taking a backup obviously).
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Thanks for the replies :)