Plugin Contributions

Default Error message to customer when Add To Cart Properly prevents adding item to cart

Something that I have run into when trying to explain to "customers" about how ZC works and to try to continue to address any perceived visitor issues is how to provide customer feedback in a situation such as this:

Cart is established to not allow over selling (Ie., when we have 1 product available, and the customer selects to provide 2 or more of the item then none of the item is added to the cart) and while not directly related to over selling, some items have attributes that must be entered/selected in order to add the item to the cart.

In the case of the required attributes, I have statements in the text and have tried to provide all sorts of visual (though not overly obnoxious) cues that something needs to be entered; however, when the customer selects add to cart or the similarly named button, all that happens is that the screen refreshes back to the screen that they "left" with no feedback to the customer (such as please select an option from one of the "X" options or perhaps something more specific such as Widget type must be selected).

I've searched through the forum(s), but haven't been lucky enough to find something similar.

Has someone identified either a minor code change/mod, or a plug-in that would provide some sort of user feedback? Or at the very least could someone identify a location where I could capture this "problem" so that I might be able to develop a solution that fits my needs?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Error message to customer when Add To Cart Properly prevents adding item to cart

In a default install, if a customer tries to buy something with an attribute set to "required" but they've not made a valid selection, an error message is displayed to explain exactly what went wrong.
    Further, when attempting to add an item to the cart that exceeds the available quantity an error message stating such is also displayed.

Perhaps your template and/or your alterations to the code are preventing the normal built-in functionality from operating as intended.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Error message to customer when Add To Cart Properly prevents adding item to cart

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    In a default install, if a customer tries to buy something with an attribute set to "required" but they've not made a valid selection, an error message is displayed to explain exactly what went wrong.
    Further, when attempting to add an item to the cart that exceeds the available quantity an error message stating such is also displayed.

Perhaps your template and/or your alterations to the code are preventing the normal built-in functionality from operating as intended.
    Thank you for identifying what is expected to be normal. I will investigate with that in mind. I am aware that the current template is not specifically designed for ZC1.5.x and have a plan to change to one that is. After I do that I will investigate the differences in code, although in my recent update to 1.5.1 (from 1.5.0) I don't recall finding any extra files (other than template related) and I understood what each change in the changed files did and why it was there. At the same time, it is possible that I do/did have extra conflicting files because I don't think I had displayed on screen files in my old path that were not in the new path. So worth investigating that as well. I know better than to operate that way, but was more interested in incorporating the new code than validating that the code was pure. Site works, but is disabled slightly by my own doing regardless.

Again thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Thank you for identifying what is expected to be normal. I will investigate with that in mind. I am aware that the current template is not specifically designed for ZC1.5.x and have a plan to change to one that is. After I do that I will investigate the differences in code, although in my recent update to 1.5.1 (from 1.5.0) I don't recall finding any extra files (other than template related) and I understood what each change in the changed files did and why it was there. At the same time, it is possible that I do/did have extra conflicting files because I don't think I had displayed on screen files in my old path that were not in the new path. So worth investigating that as well. I know better than to operate that way, but was more interested in incorporating the new code than validating that the code was pure. Site works, but is disabled slightly by my own doing regardless.

Again thanks.
    FYI, just did another quick look and it appears that the current template for my site responds as expected; however, the template (and associated overrides) that I had in place previously was likely the problem. I hadn't thought to ask the question until now, but I'm glad that it does work as expected.