Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Yikes!!! General Prod Meta configs not updating!

Hi,

I went into admin to update my Meta Tag settings:
    Admin > Catalog > Product Types > Product - General > Edit Layout

I changed the following to 0:
    Show Metatags Title Default - Product Price
    Show Metatags Title Default - Product Tagline

But the price and site tagline are still showing up!

Can someone please take a look and tell me what went wrong?
    http://2staging.apswittcosales.com/S...her_w_FS100-01

As you can see, both the price and site tagline are still showing up (both at the end of title).

Thank you so much!
    ~Mike

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Yikes!!! General Prod Meta configs not updating!

Oh. The product type for every product on the site is 1. I assume that correlates to "Product - General".

Plugin Contributions

Ok, got rid of price in title. The solution lives here:
    Admin > Configuration > Product Info > Meta Tags - Include Product Price in Title

But still cannot get rid of the tagline (SMT Supplies and Equipment).

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Feznizzle View Post
    I went into admin to update my Meta Tag settings:
    Admin > Catalog > Product Types > Product - General > Edit Layout

I changed the following to 0:
    Show Metatags Title Default - Product Price
    Show Metatags Title Default - Product Tagline

But the price and site tagline are still showing up!
    Those are the "defaults", for NEW products that you've not yet created.

If you want to change the setting for individual existing products, just edit those products' metatags and change the radio button.
    Or if you have a ton of products, you can do some direct SQL queries to alter the settings en masse.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Yet another issue... ZC is automatically creating it's own meta descriptions and keywords.

The meta descriptions for EZ Pages are completely irrelevant! The description does not take from the body of the page, rather it just spits out all the names of the categories.

Same thing for Key Words, which I don't want ANY keywords at all.

Frustrating. I will post solutions as I find them, in case anybody else has this problem.

Here is a handy tool for looking at all your meta data:
    http://www.seocentro.com/tools/searc...-analyzer.html

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Feznizzle View Post
    ... ZC is automatically creating it's own meta descriptions and keywords ...
    Hopefully this will help you in the crusade to completely control / alter generated meta tags for Zen Cart! Or at least give you a good starting point :-)

"/includes/modules/meta_tags.php" controls how meta tags are constructed and displayed for each type of "page" (/includes/modules/pages/page_type).

You can add defines to either your language files or in a new extra_configures file to override the generated meta tags and the title. You could also code an observer to listen for "NOTIFY_MODULE_START_META_TAGS" and override the generated meta tags and title.

For keywords you can remove the line in the header of you Zen Cart template which outputs the meta keyword if you do not want them ever to show up. Alternatively you can define 'KEYWORDS' to be '' to stop categories from being added to the keywords of a page (and still use the ones configured in the admin for products / categories).

You can specify by "page" type to use specific keywords (such as for "advanced_search", "password_forgotten", etc):
    Code:
    define('META_TAG_TITLE_PASSWORD_FORGOTTEN', 'Title to use for the password_forgotten page');
    define('META_TAG_DESCRIPTION_PASSWORD_FORGOTTEN1', 'Description to use for the password_forgotten page');
    define('META_TAG_KEYWORDS_PASSWORD_FORGOTTEN', 'Keywords to use for the password_forgotten page');
    For EZ-Pages:
    Code:
    define('META_TAG_TITLE_EZPAGE_1', 'Title for EZ-Page 1');
    define('META_TAG_DESCRIPTION_EZPAGE_1', 'Description for EZ-Page 1');
    define('META_TAG_KEYWORDS_EZPAGE_1', 'Keywords for EZ-Page 1');
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker

Plugin Contributions

Hi DrByte,

Thanks for looking. I have more than 3000 products, won't be able to go one by one as suggested.

However, just to see if I could get it to work, I tried using the radio buttons on the example I provided in the OP. Site tagline refuses to die, no matter what I do.

Plugin Contributions

Woah! Thanks lhungil, I didn't see your post. I am digesting that info now...

Plugin Contributions

Yeah, I've played around with the meta tag code in the past. And you are welcome!

I feel the Zen Cart meta tag system out of box works pretty well... And for most needs I suspect one can customize the meta tags without needing to change the core files. To fit needs not anticipated by Zen Cart (or the stock file) one could create a "template" override version of that file (I've only done this once, before I knew the observer system as well as I now do).

I've also in the past just created a quick SQL or PHP script to populate the Zen Cart category / product meta information after a bulk import according to certain rules... But that was before I found the handy way to set a "default" layout for meta tags which DrByte mentioned :)
    Last edited by lhungil; 17 Oct 2013 at 08:30 PM.
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker

Plugin Contributions

Ok, some progress to report, but difficulties continue.

I was able to kill the garbage keywords by editing /includes/modules/MY_TEMPLATE/meta_tags.php.

Changed:
    define('KEYWORDS', str_replace('"','',zen_clean_html($keywords_string_metatags) . CUSTOM_KEYWORDS));

To:
    define('KEYWORDS', '');

This got rid of all the unrelated categories that were showing up in the keywords of products.

My product meta titles persisted in having a ':' trailing the title. Eventually I was able to get rid of that by editing: /includes/languages/english/MY_TEMPLAT/meta_tags.php

Changed:
    define('PRIMARY_SECTION', ' : ');

To:
    define('PRIMARY_SECTION', ' ');

++++
    The remaining mystery how to kill the automated product meta_description. That one is actually not horrible, once the categories have been removed. Categories were being scooped up as keywords, then dumped into the product meta description.

The way it works now, ZC is scrubbing HTML from the product page, then dumping it as meta description. The length of the ZC meta description is some 920 characters, far exceeds what SE's want. Even that would not bother me, except that ZC continues to use the product title as keywords (which is fine I guess) and leads the description off with the product title.

The result is that Meta Title shows, then the description wastes content by repeating the title yet again.

Can somebody show me which line of code to kill in order to stop that?

Thanks,
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast