Plugin Contributions

Default Can the "option name" display name be different than the actual "option name"?

I am selling a product category in my store which has products made by more than one manufacturer. Each manufacturer has their own color choices. I have created a separate "option name" for each set of different color choices/by manufacturer. In my store, I would like the "option name" display name to be different than what the actual "option name" is. For example, I would like to use the word "Color" for all the color options in the store instead of displaying the actual "option name" that is part of the setup. Is this possible? How have others handled this?

Example of how I have it set up now:
    Product Category = Bedspread

Product Name 1: Striped Bedspread
    manufacturer_1 has color choices: red, blue, green
    option_name: manufacturer_1_color --> I want this option name to display as "Color"
    option_attributes: red, blue, green

Product Name 2: Checkered Bedspread
    manufacturer_2 has color choices: blue, white, yellow
    option_name: manufacturer_2_color --> I want this option name to display as "Color"
    option_attributes: blue, white, yellow

Product Name 3: Abstract Bedspread
    manufacturer_3 has color choices: red, blue
    option_name: manufacturer_3_color --> I want this option name to display as "Color"
    option_attributes: red, blue

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can the "option name" display name be different than the actual "option name"?

I see two possibilities:
    First, you can create option names with identical names for your different manufacturers - you would just have to keep track of them by option id or sort order. You will get a yellow "warning" message when you do this, but it will allow you to do it.

Second, and probably better, is to create one Color option name and all the different option value choices available from manufacturers, and just add the option values needed for any given manufacturer. The only possible downside to this would be if there are different swatch images for different manufacturers' versions of a common color.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can the "option name" display name be different than the actual "option name"?

Is there any reason why the option name cannot be "COLOR" and Option values be red, blue, white, green & yellow... etc

Then when you setup the individual product, only add the option values/attributes appropriate to the particular mfr

Yep, what Glenn said
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the quick replies and the options. Before I posted to the forum, I had already tried gjh42's first option but was thrown off by the warning message -- I thought I was breaking something so didn't pursue it further. Thanks again.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    I see two possibilities:
    First, you can create option names with identical names for your different manufacturers - you would just have to keep track of them by option id or sort order. You will get a yellow "warning" message when you do this, but it will allow you to do it.

Second, and probably better, is to create one Color option name and all the different option value choices available from manufacturers, and just add the option values needed for any given manufacturer. The only possible downside to this would be if there are different swatch images for different manufacturers' versions of a common color.
    And if there are "different" swatches for the different colors, the manufacturers name could appear in the color as well, at least that way you would always know which value went with which manufacturer. One of the reasons I think glenn expressed concern about the difference in colors is that if you tie a photo/additional image to the value, you may end up with discrepancies. (Depending on how the plugin handles/looks up the photo(s).)

But in answer to your earlier question of how handled, we use the single option name with multiple values to choose from method. Making sense to the customer is important and while at it, hopefully not making things impossible to manage on the site owner(s).
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...