Default SLL in paypal WPP

Can we use Paypal WPP without SSL?

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: SLL in paypal WPP

Quote Originally Posted by snk060 View Post

Thanks!
    I think you would/should refer to PayPal policy and requirements first, then PCI requirements, and if nothing from either of those two leads to the need for SSL on the above file, consider why not? It is computer code, you CAN do just about anything, but SHOULD you and why change it? Would you want to shop with your personal information on that store with that setting.

Maybe the entire page doesn't need to be SSL loaded, but what else would be changed to make it work securely?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by snk060 View Post

Thanks!
    To the best of my knowledge, no. However if it does allow it, then you must restrict the checkout/payments to use the PayPal servers only, in which case you'll probably be better of using PayPal express.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Would you want to shop with your personal information on that store with that setting
    I've no qualms shopping on a non—SSL site at all as long as the site provides a PayPal checkout. (standard or express). In fact I feel safer shopping on these sites than I do when shopping on an SSL enabled site that asks for my credit card details (which I avoid whenever possible).

Many people think this is strange, but I'm no different than anyone else who knows what SSL does and more importantly what it doesn't do.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    I've no qualms shopping on a non—SSL site at all as long as the site provides a PayPal checkout. (standard or express). In fact I feel safer shopping on these sites than I do when shopping on an SSL enabled site that asks for my credit card details (which I avoid whenever possible).

Many people think this is strange, but I'm no different than anyone else who knows what SSL does and more importantly what it doesn't do.

Cheers
    RodG
    In part, goal accomplished... I saw the OP and didn't want a lack of response to indicate that it must be okay to use Non-SSL at all times, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to look into specifically what was meant by using Paypal WPP without SSL... Ie., what impact it would have... If there is no information transmitted that should be encrypted then there would be no need to have SSL in that case. Yeah, how the apps work totally makes a difference.

I wouldn't consider it strange, just didn't want an action to be taken that could make sensitive information available that shouldn't without consideration taken into the action. On that, I haven't looked into how the PayPal option that keeps the customer on the host's site works/interacts, but I would hope that even though the customer is still on the site that the information gathered is still encrypted in some way that it is not capturable by the site owner...

Plugin Contributions

From Paypal's website:

Do I need a Secure Socket Layer (SSL) certificate if I use Website Payments Pro?

Yes. With Website Payments Pro, your customers enter their credit card information into a form that you host on your server. To protect your customer’s payment information transmitted over the Internet, you will need an SSL certificate on your web server. Learn more about SSL certificates.

BTW, I'm with RodG. I would be more likely to want to use your site if you used Paypal Express rather than WPP, SSL or not.

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: SLL in paypal WPP

I'm at a similar point having just installed Zencart v1.5.5a as a clean install. I'm not going to do any upgrades as my prior data was partially corrupted from prior upgrades from 1.39 to 1.53. The character set data got messed up in parts, although overall the site still functioned. Anyway I'm staring from scratch with a nice clean install and the responsive theme as a base template and will just archive the old database and code. Some custom code will have to be added later for a slide show, but that's about it.

I elected not to include SSL with 1.5.5a installation and thought if required I could perhaps install it later time? I only use PayPal Express Checkout also. I never want to store or process Credit Card details directly on my site. I leave it all to PayPal.

Would I be in that same category then ? i.e. SSL setup not required.

Thanks.
    Last edited by HeyIts007; 13 Aug 2016 at 10:58 AM.
    Thanks,

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by HeyIts007 View Post
    I'm at a similar point having just installed Zencart v1.5.5a as a clean install. I'm not going to do any upgrades as my prior data was partially corrupted from prior upgrades from 1.39 to 1.53. The character set data got messed up in parts, although overall the site still functioned. Anyway I'm staring from scratch with a nice clean install and the responsive theme as a base template and will just archive the old database and code. Some custom code will have to be added later for a slide show, but that's about it.

I elected not to include SSL with 1.5.5a installation and thought if required I could perhaps install it later time? I only use PayPal Express Checkout also. I never want to store or process Credit Card details directly on my site. I leave it all to PayPal.

Would I be in that same category then ? i.e. SSL setup not required.

Thanks.
    While SSL as a website visitor sees (https:) is generally considered a sign of increased concern and care for security of the site, use of say PayPal express does not require you to obtain a SSL security certificate. That said, don't get confused between that SSL and the requirement of your host to have SSL in order to communicate with PayPal or other servers. That is a different certificate and a different situation.

So to try to answer your question, you don't need to purchase (though typically a low cost) SSL certificate in order to process payments through PayPal Express at this time.

Plugin Contributions

Oh OK Thanks. That pretty much answers it. I have been using v1.53 without private SSL certificates without any problems in terms of PayPal Express functionality.
    Thanks,