Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

red flag Upgraded new site to 1.5.1 and now can't view admin

Hi to the clever people here,

I just upgraded my site using the list of deleted, new and changed files in the upgrade to 1.5.1
    I also renamed my Admin file. (It was zc_admin, now just admin)
    Now when I try to go into the admin (backend) of my new site and put in domain name/ the new store name/renamed admin/, all I get is a blank screen.

What have I done wrong?

I know when I first did this in 1.3.9 (different store now gone) I had to rename a few of other areas as well. Do I have to do that with this upgrade and change too?

If so, which bits do I need to change?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgraded new site to 1.5.1 and now can't view admin

Search the forum about the "white screen"... Most often, it's a problem with one of the php files, often having an extra space or not having a close. There are a few pages on the subject, read up on them, then you have to try and figure which one it is, which most often is an add-on or mod....

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Jenvin View Post

I just upgraded my site using the list of deleted, new and changed files in the upgrade to 1.5.1
    Now when I try to go into the admin (backend) of my new site and put in domain name/ the new store name/renamed admin/, all I get is a blank screen.

What have I done wrong?

I know when I first did this in 1.3.9 (different store now gone) I had to rename a few of other areas as well. Do I have to do that with this upgrade and change too?

You'll most likely have an error log being generated in your log folder, accessible via cpanel or ftp.
    Post the content of the log generated after you attempt to access your admin. Don't forget to edit out any reference to the name of your admin folder.

Plugin Contributions

What have I done wrong?

Admin directory should not be named admin. That is the default installation folder name for the admin directory and is required to be changed in order to get to the admin area. Additionally, it should be something not easily guessable nor posted for the public to see.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

I have seen a similar issue after an upgrade

in your admin config file, are you still using the one from 1.39h

admin/includes/config.php

if so you will need to change the admin paths in there as well as renaming the admin folder

With the default zen 1.5.1 admin config file, It is a much smarter file and it figures out its own file paths, so all you need to do in a default 1.5.1 install is change the name of the admin folder, If you have upgraded, in the manner you say, you are more than likely going to have the 1.39h style config file.

If you are unsure post the contents of you admin config file here (replacing sensitive info with *****)

What have I done wrong?

Webzings Design
    Semi retired from Web Design

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by nigelt74 View Post
    I have seen a similar issue after an upgrade

in your admin config file, are you still using the one from 1.39h

admin/includes/config.php

if so you will need to change the admin paths in there as well as renaming the admin folder

With the default zen 1.5.1 admin config file, It is a much smarter file and it figures out its own file paths, so all you need to do in a default 1.5.1 install is change the name of the admin folder, If you have upgraded, in the manner you say, you are more than likely going to have the 1.39h style config file.

If you are unsure post the contents of you admin config file here (replacing sensitive info with *****)
    Hi Nigelt74,

No, it's a totally new upload. I scrapped the 1.3.9 totally. 1.5.0 and did the 1.5.1 upgrade.

Thanks for the reply.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Admin directory should not be named admin. That is the default installation folder name for the admin directory and is required to be changed in order to get to the admin area. Additionally, it should be something not easily guessable nor posted for the public to see.

Hi mc12345678,

I know I have to totally rename it, but at the moment it doesn't matter because no one will be able to get into it as even I can't. :)
    As soon as everything is working again, the admin will be renamed to something else.

Thanks for your reply.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by picandnix View Post
    You'll most likely have an error log being generated in your log folder, accessible via cpanel or ftp.
    Post the content of the log generated after you attempt to access your admin. Don't forget to edit out any reference to the name of your admin folder.
    Thanks picandnix,

I'll have a look around to see if I can do it. At the moment, I wouldn't have a clue.

Thanks for the reply.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by chowardart View Post
    Search the forum about the "white screen"... Most often, it's a problem with one of the php files, often having an extra space or not having a close. There are a few pages on the subject, read up on them, then you have to try and figure which one it is, which most often is an add-on or mod....

Thanks chowardart,

I'll have a look for 'white screen'.
    Appreciate the help. Thanks for the reply.

Plugin Contributions

Hi mc12345678,

I know I have to totally rename it, but at the moment it doesn't matter because no one will be able to get into it as even I can't. :)
    As soon as everything is working again, the admin will be renamed to something else.

Thanks for your reply.
    You misunderstand, I don't think that you will be able to access your "admin" panel as long as the directory is called admin. You MUST rename it in order to get it to work.

Seems that if uu are not prompted to rename it and that the name of the directory was previously zc_admin that the installation was not from the package downloaded from ZC at least if a brand new install was performed. ZC will not allow admin entry and will display a message when trying to access the admin directory when it is named admin. If it doesn't, then something is not correct about the install. Either files weren't deleted that should have been, or not updated, not inserted, etc...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast